DIY was never my strong point

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What have I done wrong here? I bought this brood box as a kit about 4 years ago when I started beekeeping. The bees I eventually got came in a poly hive and I soon decided to use those so I'd never actually used this brood box until this year when I needed all the equipment I had. I realised fairly quickly that something was wrong as the frame would not sit flush. It's been good weather and the lid I was using was deep so I hope I would get away with it. I can't work out how I managed to build it wrong. It was bought from a local apiary who buy in bulk from one of the big providers I can't remember which. I know it needs a clean but I'd like to repair it if I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 125
What have I done wrong here? I bought this brood box as a kit about 4 years ago when I started beekeeping. The bees I eventually got came in a poly hive and I soon decided to use those so I'd never actually used this brood box until this year when I needed all the equipment I had. I realised fairly quickly that something was wrong as the frame would not sit flush. It's been good weather and the lid I was using was deep so I hope I would get away with it. I can't work out how I managed to build it wrong. It was bought from a local apiary who buy in bulk from one of the big providers I can't remember which. I know it needs a clean but I'd like to repair it if I can.

You don't need the metal runner, judging by the first pic.

The wall that it is attached to seems to be cut with a bevel so that the frames rest on it, with minimal surface contact.

Last edited:
It would have been useful to see the bottom view of the box. At a guess you set the support sides too high in the rebates. Did you use nails or screws and is glue involved?

You don't need the metal runner, judging by the first pic.

The wall that it is attached to seems to be cut with a bevel so that the frames rest on it, with minimal surface contact.

:iagree: looks like a Maisie's brood box, no need for metal runner. Once removed the frames should sit flush with the top of the chamber.

Ok thanks. That is probably it. I just assumed it needed runners then hadn't given it a second thought until I pulled it out of the back of the shed.

It is so easy to forget the runners when making a hive from a flat pack. I always measure the distance with a top bar from a frame after I have added the runner before I glue or nail anything together. Even a millimetre too high makes the box useless!
E

I always put in a frame when assembling...

I know, not much help to you now :).

I had a similar experience first year I started out. measured it out with a frame but forgot the runner. in the end, I took a chissel to it to make a slope down. it seems however you have a bevel on it already so you can probably take the runner out and be just fine...

If you want runners in a Maisemore box you need to trim 5mm off

Looks like you just need to remove enough material to set the runners lower to attain the required height?
Careful use of a "sharp" Stanley knife would suffice. :smash:

Take the runners off and replace with a length of builders band from screwfix. Just make sure you have a frame top bar handy so that you can adjust to correct height.

Latest posts

Back