DIY queen excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I know this has probably been done to death but I need to make a queen excluder for these paradise honey lang nucs. I've tried cutting down a plastic one but not very happy with it .Thanks to the design of these paradise honey boxes with their locking edges it makes for ,well,not the most convincing. I think will try to make something out of this:

https://themeshcompany.com/product/...-5mm-pitch-x-1mm-thick-perforated-mesh-sheet/
Any thoughts?

I know this has probably been done to death but I need to make a queen excluder for these paradise honey lang nucs. I've tried cutting down a plastic one but not very happy with it .Thanks to the design of these paradise honey boxes with their locking edges it makes for ,well,not the most convincing. I think will try to make something out of this:

https://themeshcompany.com/product/...-5mm-pitch-x-1mm-thick-perforated-mesh-sheet/
Any thoughts?
The mesh company does actually sell queen excluder mesh. But personally I would just buy a a bog standard punched galvanised steel queen excluder.national-slotted-steel-queen-excluder-1.jpg
I've always thought the plastic ones were awful.

The mesh company does actually sell queen excluder mesh. But personally I would just buy a a bog standard punched galvanised steel queen excluder.View attachment 26801
I've always thought the plastic ones were awful.

Aye I've looked at them , maybe buy a langstroth one and cut it down.If that's a no go though would 4.5mm be ok?

In an emergency, I just cut a sheet of plastic one inch smaller than the internal dimensions of the box. I had read about this somewhere and it worked for the week until I could put in a new bought one.

In an emergency, I just cut a sheet of plastic one inch smaller than the internal dimensions of the box. I had read about this somewhere and it worked for the week until I could put in a new bought one.

That's what I'm thinking , I've bought a zinc langstroth full size one now and some tin snips.Going to cut it to the internal wall measurements as placing it between boxes is not ideal.

Latest posts

Back