Divine providence ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffin dodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 of my own + 2 shared
Hi All,

Over the weekend I've been assembling my first hive, thus far I'd done the floor and broodbox, this afternoon I started on the roof. while doing it the nozzle of the glue bottle blocked up, so I unscrewed it and took it outside to blow it clear, as I stepped out of the shed there's a loud buzzing in the air as I looked up, there's a swarm of bees, on closer inspection, they're settling in the apple tree about 8 feet off the ground ! Mad rush to finish the roof, get the ladders and loppers out, find a cardboard box, get my experienced neighbour etc, long story short, they now seem to be well settled in their new home.

The strange thing is, we've lived here for 25+ years and never ever seen a swarm, the first one that comes arrives just as I'm doing my first hive, Divine providence or what not worthy

Regards
Ray

You wouldn't want to give me 6 numbers between 1 and 49 would you?
Before Saturday would do!

lovely, there is nothing like your first bees.

fab story and love your handle :)

wonderful! How are they doing now?

They seem to be well settled in their hive now, we had a very quick inspection this afternoon, fitted the rest of the frames to the brood box and added a feeder just to be on the safe side, they've spread nicely round the brood frames and seem to have started drawing the wax but we didn't want to disturb them any more than we had to at the moment.

It may sound silly but I've been sat by the hive just watching them flying in and out, some carrying pollen on the back legs, the bees dont seem to mind me being there, and seem to be very calm so it looks like we've got a good swarm :)

My second hive arrived today so I can get on with that and hope that I get another swarm to fill that too.

Regards
Ray

They seem to be well settled in their hive now, we had a very quick inspection this afternoon, fitted the rest of the frames to the brood box and added a feeder just to be on the safe side, they've spread nicely round the brood frames and seem to have started drawing the wax but we didn't want to disturb them any more than we had to at the moment.

It may sound silly but I've been sat by the hive just watching them flying in and out, some carrying pollen on the back legs, the bees dont seem to mind me being there, and seem to be very calm so it looks like we've got a good swarm :)

Regards
Ray

Not silly at all, you could hardly get me away in my first season. Had some rather strppier bees to deal with, but very excited to have a colony back in the garden.

What do you mean just in the first season? I go up the garden at least three times a day just to watch them! :)

it's fab isn't it, i even got some plastic chairs so I could leave them by the hive all the time - fascinating. I've even started meditating there now - the buzz of the bees is zen-like

After 31/2 years we now have a bench under the bedroom window to watch the hives...and a window seat for cooler days...:eek:

Latest posts

Back