Divided brood boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I was intrigued by B&S honey bee brood boxes and the built in splitter. Having read a book by leming B. Thorsen -'An efficient Production of Bee Colonies', I was all set to purchase several. Unfortunately they are sold out at present.
Does anyone know of a supplier of a comparible product?

I was intrigued by B&S honey bee brood boxes and the built in splitter. Having read a book by leming B. Thorsen -'An efficient Production of Bee Colonies', I was all set to purchase several. Unfortunately they are sold out at present.
If you just want them for split Nucs then you can make your own fairly simply. If you want them for increase adapt a crown board with a top entrance and split boxes is another idea. Ian

Hedgerow honey might have some, I'm trialing a bs split nuc.
I can forward there details if you like?

Hedgerow honey might have some, I'm trialing a bs split nuc.
I can forward there details if you like?
You can put a divider in the maisemore poly and use a bs feeder above as they fit together.

Edit: and the brood extensions for the maisemore fit above the bs poly nuc to

You can put a divider in the maisemore poly and use a bs feeder above as they fit together.

Edit: and the brood extensions for the maisemore fit above the bs poly nuc to
They do fit together, but the Maisemore poly nucs are bottom bee space whereas the BS Honeybees ones are top bee space. Maisie's nuc brood box on the left, BS Honeybees nuc on the right in pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_125622563.jpg
    IMG_20210511_125622563.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23
I've got a maisemore extension on a bs nuc, the space is not really an issue because maisemore nucs share the space a little between top and bottom.

I've got a maisemore extension on a bs nuc, the space is not really an issue because maisemore nucs share the space a little between top and bottom.

Ditto.

I thought it was going to be a problem, but actually they didn't build any wild comb in the space (well, just a bit on one side to act as a ladder)

OK that's good to know. I've avoided doing it due to the possible brace comb issues.

IMG_20210511_132647.jpgIMG_20210511_132718.jpgthe only issue I could see is your going to get brais between boxes I plan to try it, I have maise double poly running now.
I was thinking of dividing the maisemore nuc with a divider board and using the bs nuc feeder? Adding a second entrance to the maisemore.

I made a few of Mike Palmer's split BB last year to run 2 nucs with extension (5 frames). Easy to make using a national BB with a 20mm separation board in the middle and a slight tweaking of a cheap open mesh floor to offer 2 opposite entrances. I also made 2 extension to add on top.

Latest posts

Back