Disease Insurance.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
FWIW I was in Alnwick and saw the NFU shop so I went in and asked about the cost of bee disease insurance.

As lack of a cost effective insurance is one serious reason stopping the creation of a new association I thought well whilst I am here lets ask.

They are going to get a price for me.

PH

Brood Diseases Insurance through BDI Ltd

BDI Insurance only covers England and Wales. (Scotland and NI have differing levels of inspection that are not under the responsibility of Defra.)

The members of BDI are the Member Associations. The minimum payable by each Member Association to BDI Ltd as a condition of membership is £2.00 per annum for each of its beekeeping members which insures 1-3 colonies. Associate Members, Junior Members and Friends are NOT insured.

Beekeeping members can insure more colonies for the following additional premiums:

Up to 5 colonies (including the basic three) an additional £2.00
Up to 10 colonies (including the basic three) an additional £5.25
Up to 15 colonies (including the basic three) an additional £7.75
Up to 20 colonies (including the basic three) an additional £9.50
Up to 25 colonies (including the basic three) an additional £11.10
For 26 colonies (including the basic three) and up to a maximum of 39 please consult your Association Treasurer or the person in your Association who deals with BDI subscriptions. BBKA Individual members contact the BBKA Headquarters. BDI insurance becomes effective each year from the time that the member’s association receives his or her membership subscription and any additional BDI premium is received.

BDI Compensation Rates for 2009
The rates of compensation for property insured are:-
British Standard Brood Frame £1:90
All other Brood Frame sizes £2:70
British Standard Shallow Frame £1.40
All other Shallow Frame sizes £2:00
Crown Board £11.30
Glass Quilt £14.50
Saleable Honey (30lb maximum) £1.50/lb
Plastic Queen Excluder £4.00
Open Mesh Floors £10.00
Wire Queen Excluder £14.50
Slotted Steel Queen Excluder £6.00
Subject to Condition - Excellent/As New, Good, Poor. No other property will be paid for i.e. hives are not covered. You must be insured for all colonies owned at the time of inspection otherwise any payments made will be void.

If two or more claims have been made in the previous two years compensation will be reduced by 25%. If three or more claims have been made in the previous three years compensation will be reduced by 50%. The maximum compensation payable is £2,000 in any one year of insurance.

There are two Schemes - A & B:
Scheme A is for beekeepers with up to 39 colonies, who are members of an association.
Scheme B is for beekeepers with 40 or more colonies, who may or may not be members of an association

I think you have missed the point Dave. A great post though and thanks for the info.

I am investigating the price of insurance so that people who want it and do NOT want to be members of the BBKA can have their colonies insured.

PH

The most important insurance you need is third party public liability,more important than any disease insurance.

Hi PolyHive,
I understand what you are doing and I myself think it is a great idea. I was answering Hedgerow Petes thread of "who is the BDI and what do they do" that he posted before my long winded explanation of what the BDI is for him.

WHAT about the commercial bee keepers with 1000 plus hives?
Last time I tried I had the big NOOOOOO THANK YOU
They say!!(insurance)you can get an insurance for anything ha ha ha
Except beekeeping I even tried the USA
All the best mike

I think you have missed the point Dave. A great post though and thanks for the info.

I am investigating the price of insurance so that people who want it and do NOT want to be members of the BBKA can have their colonies insured.

PH
You don't need to be a member of the BBKA - you need to be a member of an association. I think one of the best things that could be done is to form an association based on membership of this forum. Then members could use BDI. The product and public liability can be covered by NFU - this has been done by associations not affiliated to the BBKA in the past.

roche "WELL SAID THAT MAN"
Come on admin we been on about this from the start
ALL THE BEST MIKE

I will have a chat with PH when he gets a reply from the NFU and see if we can get something off the ground..

The plan was to wait until we had enough members to get a block policy,I think we are close to that now.

Well, what was the result - did PH get back to you - can we form our own Assoc to get public liability insurance, etc- I think Assoc generally are looking for an alternative to BBKA - just need the right information. Surely there are enough of us, dammit!!!

Thank you so much - very informative - will go armed to the AGM on Wednesday

Back