Disclaimer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Disclaimer. (Or small print)

This is one view of the world. Bees often act as if they have not read the rules.
Bees will not always behave predictably, but will often act in response to factors in the environment of which we mere humans are not cognisant.
Today, the 3rd November- 14C, sunny, wind calm and inspection reveals that my own bees do not believe it is Winter. All colonies are busily collecting pollen.Some are still raising brood.
Will November bring with it weeks of cold, wind, rain and snow and cause the less prepared colonies to use up their stores? Or will these mild days in the south continue a little longer? Fascinating, aint it!

it isn't just the balmy South.... my father took some pictures yesterday of our bees on the ivy... still loads of pollen being gathered in.

;) Barmy might be applicable... but I was thinking along the lines of the mild and temperate weather!! Mind you it could be my bees that are barmy!!

It's mild up here too. Plenty of (yellow/orange) pollen gathering going on. There are still plenty of native species in flower - daisy, dandelion, bramble, white nettle, ragwort so guess it's not only the bees that don't believe it is yet winter. Still some H Balsam at edges of forest too.
Yesterday lunchtime it was a mad scramble at the colony top entrance with the increased numbers going in and out.

Can't believe how much the bees are bringing in, they have been doing this in heavy rain, wind and mist. This morning with the high winds, there are out doing fly school and coming and going like mad. They are also getting up early, as soon as it gets light, think they are glad the clocks have gone back!
steven

My bees are like nuns in a retreat. Horrible cold wet and windy weather..

I think they've gone on strike,,,

Latest posts

Back