Disaster - wheel barrow tipped over during harvest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd101k2000

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just been harvesting some honey. Had three supers on a wheel barrow.

Wheel barrow gave way. (Yes, I know three national supers weighs about 90lb when full, but this is/was a fairly sturdy wheel barrow.)

Two wooden supers (with castellations) - fine.

P@ynes poly super - four bits - whole super of honey in the dry dirt.

1) is there any way to repair the poly super, or would it be forever weak?

2) My lovely honey (ownership transferred on removal from hive)! Is there any way to get it cleaned up? Just put it back in the hive?

JD

I had to clue up one of mine last year - it got knocked off a standard height workbence, landed on the corner and broke in two. The breaks were more or less at opposite corners. I glued it back together using a Uhu glue designed for polystyrene and it continues to do its job - can't remember the exact name of the glue. The frames in the super have been extracted once this season and will be extracted again when I get a free evening this week.

If the honey is capped just wash them off otherwise yes put them back on for a few days, I can't help you with the poly bit as I don't have any but polyurethane glue sticks about anything and you could use wooden skewers to hold it in place whilst the glue sets.
Wheelbarrows aren't designed for carrying high loads and top heavy springs to mind, make a little cart for next time with one or two axles and a hive strap to hold it secure

I use a sack truck with the 'foot' extended to take the supers - moved four before now although three is a comfortable lift.
Always keep everything in place with a ratchet strap around the whole outfit

This one was dropped from head height … fortunately frames not badly bruised.

oops.jpg

Super now in use and full again after some TLC with Gorilla glue and some judiciously positioned dowels to hold it all together.

Thanks for the useful suggestions.

Fatshark - that looks almost identical to my mess.

I think I will be working on the sack barrow.

Glad to know that the poly supers are fixable.

That picture reminds me of my wooden brood box that hit the deck after a Th0rne$ hive stand leg split - It was a Demaree box I was trying to clear onto of three supers. Trying to decide whether its for the log burner or repairable :-(

Paynes supply repair glue/cement for their poly boxes

You need outriggers like on a catamaran for that wheel barrow.

Fishing trolleys are also good for moving supers around.

I have one of these. It will take two supers side by side and another two if strapped on .The sides and back fold down. It's got a colony on it at the moment after I ran out of space on the stand.

Latest posts

Back