Disaster strikes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why all the need for wind breaks when I was told in my thread that there's no point. Naturally I thought it would have been better for the bees but decided not to errect it as some advised me there was no need!
People have different opinions about things, and the person/s that told you there's no point just has a different opinion than others.

Go and stand on a sheltered spot on a freezing, windy day for half an hour, then move to an exposed area and do the same.

Then you can decide for yourself, as in all likelihood the effects of the wind will be the same on your hives. I am sure there will be figures available somewhere but afraid I am not the best guy to supply them to you. To me its pretty much common sense.

Originally mistakenly placed to close IE: 2 metres in front of Hives ( and 2 metres ) high, now moved to 4.5 metres away to allow for as much low winter sun exposure as possible.

I didn't put the screens up as wind breaks. My site is in the middle of an allotment site and so needed screening to push the bees up above head height. They also do have the added benefit of adding shelter as the site is fairly open but this was not the main reason for screening.

Irishguy, like BigAshW my apiary is on allotments, the netting is to prevent people getting entangled with bees, also to keep dogs out. The advantages as a windbreak/warmer environment for the bees is incidental but welcome.

Just had a call to say that mt apiary screens have come down on my hive and the bees are very angry. Jumped straight into the car as the heavens opened and was there in 5 mins.

I found my hive on its roof having received a full downpour straight through the colony. Lots of dead bees in there, a few live ones.

I put the hive back together but I'm not very hopeful for them.

Annoyingly the downpour lasted three minutes and then was over.
Hope they are OK! Let us know.

You would be surprised what they can cope with. Crossing my fingers for them.

A windbreak is effective at a distance of between 2 to 5 times the height of the barrier, so no need to have it right on top of the hive, but then the further away it is, the bigger the circumference that you'll have to fence.
appreciate that's not the primary aim here, but might be useful to factor in if additional benefit can be gained.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back