Disaster strikes......my fault!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the confession Enrico - gives us newbies hope...!
Def go with the straw idea of drinking but don't mess around with tea/coffee - go for the hard stuff :spy:

Perhaps a nice game of knock down dominos is called for rather than doing it with beehives!

That was proper bad luck but just think of the honey... Honey poultice for the lip (not manuka mind).

I do feel beekeeping is a bit like living in a quake zone... The big sting session is overdue you just hope the next inspection is not the big one!!

Wow ... this should be a sticky for the people who think 'it would never happen to me'. All credit to you for going back and sorting them out.

We had a hive stand collapse at an apiary meeting early in the season last year and I was the one who caught what was left of the hive as the super slid off and the brood box was following in pursuit .. took my first stings ever on that occasion and got my veil completely covered in bees ... they settled down quite quickly but when I looked round there was only me and the beekeeper anywhere within spitting distance ...

It's a pretty scary experience ... and my suit is bomb proof ... perhaps you should start writing your Christmas list now and put the old suit into a well deserved retirement !

Where's the pictures lol. Hope you are on

Enrico, you are a very brave man sorting it all out. Hope you're fit and well soonest and don't worry about the bees...in six weeks only the queen will remember;)

A real catastrophe but fortunately you and most of the bees have survived :)
I always use builders 9" x 6" x 18" blocks to support my hives but recently I have been thinking of going over to making some wooden stands. Given your experience I'm sticking with masonry - it might be heavy but it doesn't crush or collapse easily!

So............smoker no use then?.......sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you survived.

So............smoker no use then?.......sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you survived.

That one made me laugh! I couldn't even see the grass for frames and bees. I still haven't found the smoker!
One thing I have learnt is that I suddenly seem to have lost a lot of my allergies to stings, at last! My lip a has already gone down and apart from sore bits where the stings went in there seem to be no ill effects. If this had been any other time in the past 29 years I would have been balloon shaped and screaming with the dreaded itch by now! I wonder why your body suddenly seems to be able to cope better!
Just been up to them, all seems calmer! Retrieved the rogue frame. I will give them 48 hours to get over it and then go in and see what I put back where!
Thanks for the kind comments.
E

Never take offence from you redwood, I can spit into Wales from here ...... And often do! :)

I would go out them make them a peace offering, apologise and promise them you will never do that again.
You are the bigger man for sharing, thankyou, and we have all made bo-bo s over the years.
My first year of beekeeping I thought I killed them all in June as there was a load heaped on the floor and I had everybody locally in a panic, not killed just starved :willy_nilly:

One thing I have learnt is that I suddenly seem to have lost a lot of my allergies to stings, at last! My lip a has already gone down and apart from sore bits where the stings went in there seem to be no ill effects. If this had been any other time in the past 29 years I would have been balloon shaped and screaming with the dreaded itch by now! I wonder why your body suddenly seems to be able to cope better!
Just been up to them, all seems calmer! Retrieved the rogue frame. I will give them 48 hours to get over it and then go in and see what I put back where!
Thanks for the kind comments.
E

Good to hear you and bees have recovered - and discovering you've lost a lot of your allergies to stings from this experience.

Mei bee-smillie

Hi Enrico

Thank goodness you are o.k. It must have been terrifying.
A sobering lesson to all those who visit their bees without proper PPE.
Cazza

A sobering lesson to all those who visit their bees without proper PPE.
Cazza

Oh yes, I agree! If it can happen to an experienced beek like Enrico, it can happen to any of us :O

How are you today, Enrico? I read your post and felt truly horrified by your very honest but awful story. Please let us know. LOL (That's : lots of love ! )

Oh my! Carry on up the apiary!

Hope you and the bees are ok.

How are you today, Enrico? I read your post and felt truly horrified by your very honest but awful story. Please let us know. LOL (That's : lots of love ! )

Ahh! Melbee, you are such a sweetie, or is it sweety!
I am fine this morning, dreamt of bees all night but everything looks better in the daylight. Most of the swelling gone already which is a record. Wandered up to my bees, they seem to be fairly quiet and let me approach without bombing so maybe all is forgiven! I am still going to leave them until after the 'storm' as a precaution. I have ordered a brand new bee suit, I will be sad to see the other one go but I will keep it as a spare, I sort of get attached to things!
The sun is shining and life is a bowl of cherries again, but thanks for asking :)
The forum is a good place to ..... Vent..... You know others really do know what you are talking about! I only wish I had filmed it all!
E x

Latest posts

Back