Disaster avoided ( I hope )

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transporter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had 1 hive blow over last night in the high winds here in west Cornwall.
It was well strapped down with 2 concrete blocks on top but it went over anyway. I have rebuilt the hive but the stand was smashed to bits. The girls were very good and didn't see to many dead ones arond. Just hope queen made it and they now survive the winter. My first year in beekeeping but I guess these things happen.

I'm glad all is OK. Bees are pretty hardy thank heavens.
We get a lot of wind here in the winter so I got my husband to make a platform for the hives by driving a number of fence posts into the ground by way of hive stand legs and building the stand round them. Nothing short of an earthquake will move those. We've had 60mph gusts already!!

windproofing

another good idea for providing windproof base for hives would be concrete kerbstones - if you can get them. a double row laid flat on their backs would be perfect. They even have bevelled edges which could act as landing boards!!!

I used them as a greenhouse base (laid on a thin screed) - it has withstood numerous gales over 12 years and was even put up in midst of one (yes i know but at time couldn't sit down so was keeping myself busy with odd jobs around the house and garden).

One thing I have found useful is... a pallet upwind... ram in two thinner long fence posts to a good depth, slide pallets (2 high) over the posts. if there is a wide space then increase the length of the fence, or put it in a semi circle. A site cold be surrounded like this and for a gate well leave the fence post outside and use a couple of bits of chain and carabena(?) type hooks...
good luck with the rest of the gales, glad all ok so far... I always find that morning after walk a bit nerve wracking... what yeuchy weather recently.

Pallets=Versatile

And so many left laying about.

Some places will let you have the non blue ones for free, or look around industrial areas for oned that have been chucked out.

Latest posts

Back