Dimensions of side bars for ply hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobba

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been using these plans as a guide:

https://s64.photobucket.com/user/adamsm/library/Plans?sort=2&page=1

I am interested in making the super and brood boxes, so ignore the nuc boxes.

If you open the 4th and 6th plans, you will see they are both for supers.

The difference between the two are the side bars.

One splitting the bar 13-13mm. And the other 12-14mm.

The first plan allows 1mm clearance each side of the frame.
And the second 2mm each side of the frame.

Can anyone advise on which is best?

Thanks.

Are you talking about the part that is labeled "top runner" ? and the space between the end of the top bar of a frame to the top runner's vertical section
(L shape) ?

Sorry, re-reading my own post its not particularly clear!

The bits I for some reason called side bars are labeled as top runner's in the diagram! I will call them this from now on to avoid further confusion.

I am referring to the width of the cut out in the L shape top and cut out in the bottom runners. (not the height of the cuts)

There are 2 plans for supers, the only difference being the runners.

The runners are made from wood 26mm wide.

One plan shows a 13mm wall with 13 mm cut away.

The other shows a 12mm wall with 14mm cut away.

Well the length of a top bar on a national frame is 431mm according to web sources so as long as that fits snuggly across it won't unduly influence the spacing (bee space) between the frame side bars and super wall.
My inclination would be make it 13 -13mm. Depending on how you construct the runner (integral with side wall or separate "bolt on" piece) you may be able to "play" with it.

I thought 13/13mm would be best too.

I made a prototype brood (in a hurry) and it is in now in use. It works but it seems a little tight. The frames fit, but when I try to nudge multiple frames together it gets a bit jammy between the frames and the side of the box.

However I am not 100% sure I got the tolerances quite right. And now its full of bees it hard to double check the measurements.

Thanks for your reply Murox, but I think I will just have to get on the tools and experiment.

Latest posts

Back