Different types of foundation and different cell types

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Do you happen to know how much bees wax I would get per 14x12 frame if I melted it down for the wax to do the trade to make foundation from it, after it has been processed to be cleaned?

Last edited:
Ok. Do you happen to know how much bees wax I would get per 14x12 frame if I melted it down for the wax to do the trade to make foundation from it, after it has been processed to be cleaned?

Very little - by the time you need to scrap your brood frames, they are so dirty and clogged with pupa casings you're better off just putting them on the bonfire.

Ok, thanks. How often do you change your frames?

Same here.
When the frames are really dark and you can’t see through them is a good guide for me.
When the bees have created so many short cuts through the wax at the bottom that the frame is unstable.
That generally does it.

Same here.
When the frames are really dark and you can’t see through them is a good guide for me.
When the bees have created so many short cuts through the wax at the bottom that the frame is unstable.
That generally does it.

I've found that 2 small cable ties through the wires(if use use wired of course) aroung the bottom bars stops the wax hitting the floor particularly if the inspection is on a warm day.

Ok, thanks. What’s your opinion on moving framed from one colony to another. It would be with brood and everything (apart from live bees obviously!). Is it bad for a colony to have other brood coming in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all. It will strengthen the receiving hive, but Remember, also weaken the donor. There must be enough bees in the receiver to look after any donated brood, depending on what stage it is at. Ensure the donor hive is healthy also

Not at all. It will strengthen the receiving hive, but Remember, also weaken the donor. There must be enough bees in the receiver to look after any donated brood, depending on what stage it is at. Ensure the donor hive is healthy also

Awesome, thanks.

Ok, thanks. What’s your opinion on moving framed from one colony to another. It would be with brood and everything (apart from live bees obviously!). Is it bad for a colony to have other brood coming in?

Just be careful about disease control. There are some nasty viruses about that can be spread by transferring frames from one colony to another.

Yep. It would be from the colony I have here. I don’t want to do that with someone else’s.

Very little - by the time you need to scrap your brood frames, they are so dirty and clogged with pupa casings you're better off just putting them on the bonfire.
Extraction of wax from old brood frames discussed at some length on this thread
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46243

Last edited:
I would recommend worker (foundation) in the supers as well, it's a bit of a myth that drone cells in the supers give you loads more honey.
What about using drone foundation in supers because doing so reduces the likelihood that the bees will store pollen there? Has anyone found any truth in that?

I've heard that if you let them draw it out themselves then they just build drone cells so the colony doesn't become amazing. Anyone know?
Rubbish... I've been fiundationless since day 1 . Only downside is you need something to guide them so frames without foundation alternated with foundationless with just some sort of starter strip works they will almost certainly draw out the foundatuinless frames first .. which tells you something about what the bees prefer !

What about using drone foundation in supers because doing so reduces the likelihood that the bees will store pollen there? Has anyone found any truth in that?
I use both in my supers and certainly get almost no pollen in the drone foundation frames. I've not calculated if I get more honey in them.

I use both in my supers and certainly get almost no pollen in the drone foundation frames. I've not calculated if I get more honey in them.
Same here I plan to use the same both drone/worker foundation this season being as I have some left and bought more of both.
Also wondering which company is going to give me the best price for my wax I have?

I've heard that if you let them draw it out themselves then they just build drone cells so the colony doesn't become amazing. Anyone know?
Rubbish... I've been fiundationless since day 1 . Only downside is you need something to guide them so frames without foundation alternated with foundationless with just some sort of starter strip works they will almost certainly draw out the foundatuinless frames first .. which tells you something about what the bees prefer !

In my (limited, 1 hive owner, very anecdotal!) experience they draw a lot of drone comb to begin with, which I suspect is because worker foundation has been limiting the number of drone cells. Once they've transitioned to foundationless they behave.
When I got started and hived my nuc I gave them a couple of foundationless frames to get started - the first one they drew was entirely drone comb, subsequent combs have been fine, presumably because they were then "happy" with the amount of drone comb in the hive.

Latest posts

Back