Did you have any projects or goals completed in 2008

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
My Project at the beginning of 2008 was to get an Apiary, bees were a distant dream at this point, when i finally was offered a site, i went to look and my heart sank, however, i wanted bees badly, so no Pigsty, tree, or rusty metal object was going to defeat me.

You can see in the pics how daunting it looked before i began work, but gradually the dream became clearer.

Tried to grow veg up there but theres too much shade from the Oak trees, so next year i will have some hives outside the shelter as well, facing into the garden centre container unit.

(the files say 07, but that was just me getting the year wrong when i changed the file name)

Last edited:
That is quite a transformation.... but why have you go the bees flightpath right over your veg... or have I got that wrong?

why have you go the bees flightpath right over your veg... or have I got that wrong?

The veg is to the right of the hives, they do whizz over my head, but i managed to work without any collisions, however next spring summer, those raised beds will come out, and i will possibly add more hives, just stick to Bees i think.

thats an impressive transformation:)

what is the forage around you likely to be next year?

What was your (plan A) Finman that the weather stopped you doing ?

My plan was to keep bees,I started at the time when everyone and his dog needed Nucs due to winter losses,so I had to wait and wait for a swarm.

I was very lucky to have a kind female friend who allowed me to manipulate her bees for her to get some hands on experience.

I will always remember that day I managed to get my first bees (a swarm) that was about 1 mile away from me.

I had read all the books and seen the videos so it was now my turn to become a beekeeper.
After collecting the swarm my daughter that was with me asked how many swarms I had colected to date,my answer (None) she burst out laughing in the car on the way home.

I had my hive all setup in the garden ready for them,used a QE below the entrance for 48 hours then put a feed of syrup on for them.
I could not believe the speed that they took the syrup down and started to draw comb out onto my wired foundation.

A few pictures of my first bees within the first couple of weeks:

Latest posts

Back