Did the oxalic today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Did my hives today lost one but expected it due to them being queenless after numerous attempts of giving frames of eggs etc. So all others have plenty of bees and lots of stores. Also did the hives of a beginer I am helping all his are ok as well so not too bad so far.

I did mine this afteroon as well.

the were the most defensive I have ever seen them :(

they had some sign of birds attacking the hive a couple of weeks ago so I put some builders bulk bags over the back and sides leaving the front open for them to fly. it looks like birds have been hammering on the entrance block and having a fine meal on the bees that have come out.

they now have some wire mesh over them to hopefully stop the birds :)

we did our bees today as well, this is our first winter of beekeeping so our first administering oxalic acid. All seemed to go ok, the bees were fine , about six seams. A few decided to have a flap about and the rest stayed put in the hive. Glad its over and done with , wasn't looking forward to doing it , concerned about the oxalic acid strength as my last nights post seemed to kick off a bit of a heated debate, ho hum

Did one apiary today, the rest tomorrow.

A few of the colonies were very high on the frames (almost muffin tops!) although they appeared to have plenty of stores, so have noted which colonies and will keep an eye on those ones over the next few weeks and will feed if needed

No losses so far..........

OA

Have done my 3 hives today also, all seems fine, about an hour after treating there were a few bees which seemed to be kicking out dead ones.
Hopefully alls well, not much I can do if its not so will have to hope for the best. They seemed to have plenty of stores in there so theres definatly life on mars all three planets !. or there was!till I messed about !

Cheers
Dave W:cheers2:

OA

Did both of mine yesterday. Used my nice new beesuit, the one I got from Santa and got it covered in bee poo!

Today, +7C, both hives were busy flying and clearing out the dead.

You were lucky Starflex,it stayed very misty and not that warm down here on the coast.

Starflex must have just beat the fog. It's been dark & damp the last couple of days. Did you get much drop after the treatment?

I was planning to do ours on New Year's Day, but I forgot to buy the acid, so I'll have to wait until the sharp ones open again.:blush5:

OA

Well theres still life on mars, and one of the little b***ers stung me on the arm !!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Dave W

Did mine yesterday as well, signs of life in both though I didnt delve too deeply, and plenty of stores. Feeling hopeful for the re-emergence in spring

Did my 3 today all looking good, removed a good sample of dead bees from each hive so will mush them up to check for nosema. Results after OA treatment:

Hive 1: 8 Frames of bees in BB, good weight of stores in Super. I will be putting this onto 14x12 in Spring.
Hive 2: 10 Frames of bees in BB and 6 frames in super. There is a good weight of stores in this one, it has two supers on it.
Hive 3: 6 Frames of bees in BB good weight of stores in super.

I think that hive 2 will be problamatic as there are so many bees, it really was full. I think that I will be putting this onto a double brood in the spring and, if there are a lot of bees perhaps make a split. It looks like 2011 will be when I pefect swarm contol!!

Ian

I think you have to do the sample with live bees killed in a freezer so the sample is relativly fresh as you wont know how long the bees you have picked up have been dead for. I may well be wrong but have always been taught to do it this way. Maybe it still works your way let me know someone.

Collecting a sample of live bee's is the normal method for nosema testing,but the dead bee's will work as well,or even collecting poo from the front of the hive will work to see if the colony has any nosema spores,as long as its from that colony of course.

Just come back from doing mine.

Two hives nicely clustered, loads of bees (6/7 frames), plenty of stores - and the very finest behaviour!

Third hive quite active (though nothing flying), more bees than you could shake a hive tool at, and still loads of stores. One or two popped out to ping me!

Do not open until Spring (but roll on Spring!!).

just did mine 2 were nice and quiet and my usual docile hive was full of bees in bad humour(i broke some brace comb seperating super and brood.) i recieved 5 stings for my sins.
got photos ive got one hive on
3 frames brood and super one on
5 frames brood and 3 frames super
11 frames brood and 9 frames super
also my SWMBO got her first sting refilling the syringes and takin photos.(she reacts better than i do hardly any swelling at all.)

Done my single hive yesterday too. My first winter so a bit nervous, had a practice session with the syringe in the kitchen sink (water only) and then opened the hive to see plenty of bees and stores. Quite pleased to say the least as it's my first winter.

Now planning on what to do for next year...

Pete

Did my three today.
One a bit defensive.
I was really nervous but all went OK and I can now relax, keeping fingers crossed for the spring

Did mine today (Jan1st)
wasn't going to treat but as i only have the 1 colony at present did not want to risk not treating and risk loosing 100%.
maybee next year i might leave 1 alone.
nice suprise to see around 6 seams of bee's
They are not using the fondant and looks like plenty of stores left,
roll on spring!!

Weather must be at its best for a while all over the UK. Just done my 4 for OA and added 2.5Kg of fondant to each as a safety net. Wont see them again until mid March for their pollen patties.

Latest posts

Back