Did I mess up? Queen introduction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell1985

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a hopelessly queenless hive that I introduced a caged mated queen to. This would have been on the 26th of May. 48 hours later I hope the tabs. I was sure to leave her over 7 days before opening the hives as to avoid causing her to be balled.

Due to work, rain and my belief that there's plenty of space and stores I didn't actually get in this hive until close to two weeks after I opened the tabs on the cage.

As I went through the double brood hive I'm getting worried as I'm seeing no queen and no eggs. One a single frame I find a small section of eggs. No queen cells anywhere either.

I don't like what I'm seeing so I borrow a full frame of eggs and young larva from another hive and stick it in the middle.

Once everything is back together and a few hours later I happen to notice dead queen on the ground out the front of the hive.

I'm unsure why this happened. Did I do this? I was sure not to go in prematurely and am delicate with inspections.

Have I taken the right course of action placing the frame of eggs in?

No I doubt you did this but I suspect you’ll find another queen laying away on your next inspection. We’ll all be guessing until then

I hope so. If not I'm hoping they build some emergency cells into the new frame and I'll just leave one and cross my fingers.

No I doubt you did this but I suspect you’ll find another queen laying away on your next inspection. We’ll all be guessing until then

I did an inspection today. I did not see a queen but I did see eggs on a few frames. Single eggs per cell all placed where they should be. The test frame I put in didn't have a single Queen cell on it. I can only assume I missed a queen cell in previous attempts to make them hopelessly queenless.

I can only assume I missed a queen cell
It's an easy thing to do. A new queen is not always that easy to see either. I have a nuc with a swarm in it. It was loaded with mainly drawn comb and there were stores for them. After a week I decided to inspect, to find no queen visible, or eggs etc..
I decided that I would have to re-queen, by either finding a cell, or putting in a frame of BIAS for the swarm to decide. Well over a week later (weather delay too) I looked again. You've guessed it, there were young and eggs, but still no sign of the queen, despite a detailed search! I decided to let them be for a few weeks..
Last week, I looked again. There were more eggs, young and emerging bees. I had decided that the responsible queen was just one of those enigmatic, evasive types. Then, suddenly, I caught a different movement amongst a group of feeding workers, on a frame. I found myself looking at a 'worker' not much bigger than the others. The only difference was a slightly more pointy rear end. It was only the fact that she was 'scuttling' when the others were relatively still that made me notice!
The swarm had come from an apiary that had temporarily got the better of their owners. There had been others. My theory is that this swarm, not being the first, was one of the series. It was why she was so small, unmarked and not easy to spot. I think that she may have even been unmated when I collected the swarm?

Latest posts

Back