Did I just invent this? Easy propolis removal...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

region2

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5+
I just discovered a really good way to remove propolis 'just like that' - Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner - works really well on plastic feeders and hive tools. Might work on leather gloves, poly hives etc but not yet tested. It might damage surfaces so try it at your peril - without gloves it will remove human skin (I did try that!). Available from all good shops such as Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, Waitrose and Morrisons... :rolleyes:

R2

ps. on their website it says:
For use on oven interiors only. For use on cold ovens only. Do not use on self-cleaning ovens, microwave ovens, hot ovens, exterior surfaces, chrome, aluminium, zinc, copper, plastic or polished/lacquered surfaces. Do not use outdoors. If in doubt about whether it is suitable for use on your surface, refer to manufacturer's instructions.

That will be caustic soda based. See all the threads on cleaning frames, particularly those with posts from Finman or myself.

It's in a handy spray can which I like - wife keeps it under the sink!

R2
:cool:

True but we only have one oven and I have lots of kit to clean so I suspect there might be a gap in the Mr Muscle flow...

R2

wife keeps it under the sink!

Warning!! Not the way to store it if children could possibly get access....

Good advice but no kids in range - cat hasn't mastered cupboard doors yet.

R2

Washing soda eats propolis ,is as cheap as chips (cheaper these days)further more it's pretty innocuous :)
VM

I'm doing something wrong!! Even if I mix a strong solution, washing soda doesn't seem to touch it.

Now I KNOW someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and shouldn't be using it ;), but Flash with bleach works an absolute treat. Obviously well washed off with clean water afterwards, but I now have clean, non sticky tool (and gloves) for the first time in weeks.:eek:

Washing soda eats propolis ,is as cheap as chips (cheaper these days)further more it's pretty innocuous :)
VM

MY point exactly. Why spend £££s on an aerosol when you can use something that is cheaper and less offensive in terms of content but also packaging/propellents?

There really is a safety issue with the oven spray - on bare skin it can and will cause full thickness burns.

If you really want to go with caustic (rather than washing) soda, oven cleaner is probably safer than drain cleaner ...
Read and follow the safety instructions - it still bites.

/ must try some of this Flash with bleach, it was recommended the other day as well ...

Me too. It turns the water brown or green ( I am colour blind) but never seems to get the propolis off our gloves. So - should they be soaked for hours or what ?

Hot water ,washing soda crystals , then soak for a couple of hours, after all the product needs time to break down the propolis and heat accelerates chemical reactions :)
VM

It's in a handy spray can which I like - wife keeps it under the sink!

R2
:cool:

Therer are things under the sink:eek: - try to keep away from that area if possible that's why i have size 11 feet and SWMBO has size 5 (so she can stand closer to the sink:))

By the way - before someone has a rant about all this PC nonsense - i had her permission to write this post :D

Either you are as tough as nails or your eyes are still watering :rofl:

Latest posts

Back