did I do the right thing ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
bee-smillieyesterday I checked on the wasp trap I set up near my hive and noticed there were two huge hornets clinging for dear life to the top of the trap. I remember reading somewhere that hornets are not that aggressive and I felt a bit sorry for them so I took the trap apart and let them go, they were huge great things and it was interesting to see them close up. Am I going to live to regret letting them go, I've never had a problem with hornets so I did'nt really want to kill them

Have a look on utube i saw hornets kill all the bees in the hive and stole the honey and i mean all the bees if i find it i will link it on this thread
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSf3Kshq1M[/ame]

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that hornets are not that aggressive and I felt a bit sorry for them

I was hiking in Turkey a few years ago and I can tell you that a head full of hornet stings is VERY VERY painful.
I nearly passed out with the shock and I certainly cried for a while.

A very dramatic video I have to say, harrowing for any beekeeper to watch. I wonder how often this sort of thing happens

What a video nasty!

I believe that most hornets in the UK are not like that, though there is an African variety working their way over from France that will pick off bees.

You have to wonder about the filming of something like that - did the cameraman just happen to come across that or was it set up? Why didn't they help the bees?

I thought that i wish i was suited up and with my electric tennis fly zapper knock those hornets for 6 :hurray: they look like you could use them as air conditioning fans
That would be fun put them in Q cages and they could be use in the bees favour:cheers2:

The Utube clip is of the giant asian hornet which is endemic in Japan. Japanese bees have developed a defence of sorts - they form a ball round the hornet and increase their temperature, the bees can tolerate a temperature 2 degrees higher than the hornet so they survive and the hornet does not. If they get the "scout" the colony survives if it is a mob attack they do not.

Barry - Your hornets would have been European hornets, they do kill bees but one at a time and they do not raid "mob handed" if they come back watch them they will hunt round and if they can under the hive, grab an incoming bee and take it to the nearest tree or shrub. they will disect it and take the thorax back to their nest to feed the larvae.

The Asian hornet has spread as far north as Paris. It is slightly smaller than the European but hunts the same way as the Giant Asian and is causing havoc here in France. My traps are currently catching 2 European for every Asian, the last 3 day kill was 58 European and 24 Asian:sifone:

What a video nasty!

I believe that most hornets in the UK are not like that, though there is an African variety working their way over from France that will pick off bees.

You have to wonder about the filming of something like that - did the cameraman just happen to come across that or was it set up? Why didn't they help the bees?

I would say it was definitely set up since the camera was also within the hive.

Sickening that a hive of honey bees should be used in this way ie to boost the ego of some photographer.

I found it extremely distressing to watch.

I found it distressing to watch too - especially as it was obviously set up on purpose. Fancy sacrificing a colony of bees for a video like that - typical American dramatics if you ask me. The bloke commentating wound me up too - like to punch him then set a load of hornets of him see how he likes it. There - that's my ranting over with!

i have to say I thought the video was very much set up, I found it horrible to watch. I have done some reading up on the internet and have found that european hornets are not particularly aggressive and that they are actually on the decline in this country. I'll monitor the situation with my hive and act accordingly but I don't like the idea of killing something just because it looks a bit scary to some people, I think they are very impressive insects.

If they are on the decline it might be because they've all come to my garden. In prior years we'd get one or two around the apple trees - this year I've seen (and killed - sorry) at least 12-15 in the last three weeks. I have tried finding their nest, which I assume cannot be that far away, but without success.

We have one particular apple tree that they love; if you want hornets, get a "Scrumptious" variety apple tree!

I found it distressing to watch too - especially as it was obviously set up on purpose. Fancy sacrificing a colony of bees for a video like that - typical American dramatics if you ask me. The bloke commentating wound me up too - like to punch him then set a load of hornets of him see how he likes it. There - that's my ranting over with!

very scary Janet!! LOL

I don't think I'll bother watching, sorry. After reading all the posts, I don't see the point in upsetting myself ( as if the upset over the wasps wasn't enough lol )

I don't think we have many hornets bothering us. I always thought they were those small stripy bugs. I've never seen anything that big, thankfully lol

. I've never seen anything that big, thankfully lol[/QUOTE]

poor old you :D

Hi thurrock bees, if I get anymore in my trap that are dead I will send them to you if they're not too soggy

I've heard all sorts of differing things about hornets, varying from "they're harmless gentle giants" to "if you're stung it's a hospital job". Down here in Sussex we've had some of the vast European jobs, and they can be intensely intimidating - the first one I saw buzzed round the kitchen, and then hovered about 3 feet from my face, with it's large head swivelling (presumably locking on weapons systems) - it suffered the same fate any Apache attack helicopter imitator that gives me an acute attack of the willies can expect.......... :coolgleamA:

shotgun

just putting beesuit on, and armed with shotgun, i'm just going to sit and wait for the little b***ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. iv'e got enough trouble with wasps.

Cheers
Dave W

Latest posts

Back