Did he or didn't he?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim

New Bee
Reaction score
I am troubled by the fact that so much is being said about the alleged quote by Albert Einstein ?that without bees mankind could not survive for more than 4 years!? or is it 10 years? This has been used so many times that it is becoming commonplace, yet there appears to be no reference to this quotation prior to 1994 when a group of French bee farmers were trying to get a particular chemical banned, and used this as a slogan to help their cause. Now of course this is being quoted any time the discussion is centred on the problem we are facing with our bees, in the press, on forums, even in Parliament.

As a beekeeper when talking about bees to my friends and others, they would say ?Einstein said That without bees mankind could not survive for more than 4 years!? Which to their astonishment I would reply ?Did he?? While helping on a display stand this summer many members of the public came up to the stand and repeated the quote. However what is troubling me is the fact that to one of them I replied ?Yes? Is it a case of, if you hear something often enough you begin to believe it.

While I can find no reference to link Einstein with this quote I would like to know if there is any connection and under what circumstance it was said.

While I question this quote I am fully aware of the seriousness of the problems facing beekeepers, but using a possible inaccuracy will not help the cause.

Albert died 1955. I had not time to see enormous quantity of chemical what we use now in agriculture. What was his knowledge about environmental factors because environment in modern meaning had not invented.

England was heavily polluted and UK was the most industrialized country in the world. Over 50% of workers were in factories. London was in troble and inhabitants werre moved to "new towns". Street children were chipped to Australia.

One thing . look the year: Wiki: "Silent Spring is a book written by Rachel Carson and published by Houghton Mifflin in September 1962. The book is widely credited with helping launch the environmental movement.[1]"

Albert Einstein born 14 March 1879 died 18 April 1955. During his life time tere was much more bigger promblems like honey bee. And I suppose that honey bee had no troubles with its existence.

Stalin killed more own Russian people than Wold War I killed all together. I wonder if Stalin was worried about bees?

I doupt the whole story even if Albert said that. He was surely drunk then.

Last edited:
Most urban legend sites say that its a myth.

Are bees needed to grow rice and corn?

Most urban legend sites say that its a myth.

Are bees needed to grow rice and corn?

A big part of food plant are self pollinating or wind pollinating.
The world is full of bees and honey bee is one of them.

One parts is clones of plants. We take bulbs, tubers, twigs etc.

Last edited:
Nearly everything Einstien said was documented,and there seems to be no evidence he ever said this.Statements like these are made up by others and then pinned on someone famous like Einstien to make the statement noticed.Like if you or i say such things,who is going to notice. But a pope,Nostradamus,gordon brown, julius ceasar,Darling.ronnie corbett, are more likely to be listened to.

Not so sure about Ronnie Corbett though,maybe if the big yin said it.

Latest posts

Back