Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Dorking.Dan 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just a question from a novice. Being a poultry keeper as bell as a new-ish beekeeper, I had a little thought. I treat my chook houses with Diatomaceous Earth for red mite controll.
Those who don't know of it, It's basically fossilised diatoms ground to a powder which contains tiny "shards" of diatom shell. These shards scratch the waxy shell of red mite and causes moisture loss and dehydration. Leading to the mites death.
Now i was wondering, if it's safe to use in a hive to reduce varroa mite infestations.
My concern would be first and foremost the bees. would it affect the bees body?
Any thoughts? Answers on a postcard,
Dan.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just a question from a novice. Being a poultry keeper as bell as a new-ish beekeeper, I had a little thought. I treat my chook houses with Diatomaceous Earth for red mite controll.
Those who don't know of it, It's basically fossilised diatoms ground to a powder which contains tiny "shards" of diatom shell. These shards scratch the waxy shell of red mite and causes moisture loss and dehydration. Leading to the mites death.
Now i was wondering, if it's safe to use in a hive to reduce varroa mite infestations.
My concern would be first and foremost the bees. would it affect the bees body?
Any thoughts? Answers on a postcard,
Dan.
No, it is not safe, it kills bees exactley in the same way as it kills mites

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
But the stuff is apparently very good for straining wax through. The wax has to be very clean to begin with but if it is then poured through a bed of Fullers Earth (same stuff, but I can spell it) the wax comes out white the other side, just as if it was bleached. You can buy organic white bees wax which has been processed by this method. I don't know how deep the bed has to be, a few inches at least I would expect.

fatshark 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
And for those looking for an inexpensive source of Fullers Earth try Otto cat litter from either Aldi or Lidl (cannot remember which). 10 kilos costs less than £2.

Disclaimer ... I've not used this for wax preparation. However, I'm a fly fisherman and this is the cheapest source I know of to make line sinkant.

Dorking.Dan 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It's lidl. About £1.79 ish. I use it for my cats. It's really diatomatic earth? If i had know that i would have used it for my chickens yonks ago lol. Thanks for the info. Had an incling it would do the same to bees. Thought best to check before i did something stupid.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
fullers earth is clay not a fossil..my schools cross country through clophill, bedfordshire was across the fullers earth beds....i know it well, grey legs for days after a race

the DC is a fossil layer and is not a clay

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
of Fullers Earth

The last time I used Fullers earth was not for any such treatment of wax but rather a different type of exposure. Ask any Service personnel.
I think I should refine the exposure it should read exercise.

ian 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Hi

U.S beeks spread it under the hives to help rid/kill SHB larvae. The larvae drop from hives and pupate in the earth.

May need some one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Ian

Bcrazy 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I agree with you there Ian and I have a feeling its not in the distant future either.

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
The last time I used Fullers earth was not for any such treatment of wax but rather a different type of exercise.
Autojects at the ready, gas, gas, gas :) NBC oh f*** me, dab, dab, dab.

Rather exercise than operation, eh BC?

A Belgian in the JOC at Maastircht, during an exercise asked my why the Brits in the communications facility weren't wearing combats (to the job we did 365 days a year). I explained that if Ivan came swinging through the Ardennes and was knocking at the front door, then the only combat kit needed would be a pair of Nikes as we all sprint for the back exit to the Meuse. :dupe:

Latest posts