Dextrose monohydrate

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBG

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Polystyrene & lots more next year again hopefully
I saw this in the local Home Brew shop and wondered if it was suitable for bees - bit expensive though!

As an aside, modern brewing is now very simple with Brupak, virtually add water and stand for a week with sugar at the end.

Linthwaite Light - better than supermarket beer.

I saw this in the local Home Brew shop and wondered if it was suitable for bees - bit expensive though!

As an aside, modern brewing is now very simple with Brupak, virtually add water and stand for a week with sugar at the end.

Linthwaite Light - better than supermarket beer.

Given that making beer from scratch is not that difficult, I'd rather do that.

I dread to think how much cack there is in your boil in the bag beer.

Don't think so, it's what the Microbreweries use - concentrated Brewers Worts.

You must have used it to be able to condemn it?

Yes beer-making is simple but this is simpler and more expedient.

Modern methods make life simple.

since the thread has been hijacked by you alcoholics..............

What was BEE WINE... that my grandmother had on the windowsill in the 50's ???
Grandfather kept bees, but this stuff had a blob... I presume a bee, going up and down in the yellowish fluid.
I never got to try or taste this bee wine as it was for grown ups only.
was also called bee beer?

Gran also used to make ginger beer from some mysterious plant that lived in the cellar / pantry... had to call the fire brigade once because the bottles stored in the understair cupboard were exploding and couldn't get near them!!!!!!

Not so. It's good old barley into the mash tun followed by hops added in the "copper". If micros bought in a concentrate then all the beer would be the same.

You must have used it to be able to condemn it?

I haven't used that type myself, but have tried the end product produced by friends and it was largely unsatisfactory for my tastes, though better than supermarket beer, as you said.

I have used all manner of concentrates when I was brewing. While some were good and a couple excellent, none were as satisfying as using good produce; hops, malt, water and yeast. Oh and ginger beer was great.

since the thread has been hijacked by you alcoholics..............

Gran also used to make ginger beer from some mysterious plant that lived in the cellar / pantry... had to call the fire brigade once because the bottles stored in the understair cupboard were exploding and couldn't get near them!!!!!!

She probably grew her own yeast in a jar. I too had batch of ginger beer that decided it wanted to be out of the bottle sooner than I was ready for it.

Very lucky in that one of two bottles I had laid outside on the back lawn separated like a space rocket, with the top half shooting almost 20 feet into the air. Scary.

Dextrose = D-glucose

glucose + glucose = starch

glucose + fructose = cane sugar or beet sugar..

You get no advantage from dextrose.

Thank you Finman.

May your beer bottles never explode!

Latest posts

Back