Detering Bees From A Water Source.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is "Fabi-Spray" the answer?

I bought a can, but have not had a reason to use it yet. The "Benzaldehyde" suggestion also seems good, it's "Almond Flavouring" basically, which suggests it might be worth trying a bag os almonds from <local shop>, if bees don't like the Almond smell.

Fabi Spray and liquid Benzaldewatsit might be transient in their effext, but a cloth bag of Almonds would last longer :)

Is "Fabi-Spray" the answer?

I bought a can, but have not had a reason to use it yet. The "Benzaldehyde" suggestion also seems good, it's "Almond Flavouring" basically, which suggests it might be worth trying a bag os almonds from <local shop>, if bees don't like the Almond smell.

Fabi Spray and liquid Benzaldewatsit might be transient in their effext, but a cloth bag of Almonds would last longer :)
Thank you for that i will bear it in mind if the Almond food flavouring my lady friend has does not work.;)

No nuts please. Almonds, though not badly toxic, can still cause vomiting and tremours in dogs. My little Patterdale bitch snaffled one flake of Almond and that gave her the symptoms above.

No nuts please. Almonds, though not badly toxic, can still cause vomiting and tremours in dogs. My little Patterdale bitch snaffled one flake of Almond and that gave her the symptoms above.
;) Good tip Steve, i / she will give the pee pot a spray so no solid nuts will be in the vicinity.

The dog is trained but to kill things, she is not your average run of the mill lap warmer.

Growing up used to wonder around the fields had a couple of hunting / working dogs family still does it, including shooting. Training a dog to do that the most important thing is the leave / off command, obviously its not trained properly.

I have the opposite problem, I am forever fishing my bees out of the pond, I even scoop water from the pond to shallow trays in the hope they will use that instead, anything I can do to encourage them to drink from somewhere they won't then drown

The dog is trained but to kill things, she is not your average run of the mill lap warmer.

Sounds like a good dog to have round a farm :)
When I was a lad there was a terrier called Monty in our village that was invariably taken to farms when rats needed clearing out. He was fast and deadly to vermin. Grabbed the rats and shook them once for a kill before going after the next. His owner used to say he was no use as a pup until the time a rat bit him.

Think I have posted before about a neighbour who had a Jack Russel called Brandy, when i was a small child. He was "useful" to have around when moving hay or straw. His "problem" was that he bit/grabbed, shook and often swallowed rather than shake and release as it were. He used to be on duty when we were moving bales in the Spring. I can still picture him with the end of a rats tail poking out of his mouth and a belly as tight as a drum.... I also recall that his bed was moved from the kitchen to the garden shed for the next week or so after we moved the bales.
It is every terriers instinct to bite and shake things. Good working dogs.

Sounds like a good dog to have round a farm :)
When I was a lad there was a terrier called Monty in our village that was invariably taken to farms when rats needed clearing out. He was fast and deadly to vermin. Grabbed the rats and shook them once for a kill before going after the next. His owner used to say he was no use as a pup until the time a rat bit him.

She is like a bull in a china shop when she is switched on / bitten and she will not stop and does not feel pain, she will dig and kill rats all day long till the point of collapse and until she only has bloody holes where her nails used to be, she requires the vets after every job we get to do when clearing the chicken farms where we average 350 rats and the most we cleared one day was 532.

f%20drive%205958_zpsg1uis8wo.jpg

f%20drive%209773_zpsnzw2gnzb.jpg

602187_347878178654631_1234098573_n%20-%20Copy_zpsqhojae08.jpg

So what is the problem Millet with sorting the leaking tap?

Not being funny but that seems to be the primary issue?

PH

Thanks for that BUT nope i not fixing someones tap or asking them to get there dog put to sleep to stop it pissing on the pots, any sensible folk out there that can recommend a spray of some sort to DETER bees, i was thinking skin so soft or clove oil but i am unsure. And why do they like dog pee so much..:D

Fixing the tap is the most sensible solution. Quite a neighbourly thing to do and helps you both out. Why pay money for chemical deterrents when probably all that's needed is a new washer.

If you are within easy distance of the coast, bring a bucket of seaweed home and see if it makes a difference. Place it beside where you want them to drink. My bees love it.

It won't cure a dripping tap but it might steer the bees in a different direction for a week or two.

So what is the problem Millet with sorting the leaking tap?

Not being funny but that seems to be the primary issue?

PH
If for some reason i decided to fix the drippy tap how do you suggest i tell the neighbor to stop her dog peeing up her plant pots, you may have missed it in my posts but the bees are equally attracted to the dogs urine in good numbers, not to worry though Hivemaker give me a simple sensible solution that seems to be working.

If you are within easy distance of the coast, bring a bucket of seaweed home and see if it makes a difference. Place it beside where you want them to drink. My bees love it.

It won't cure a dripping tap but it might steer the bees in a different direction for a week or two.

Thank you for that but it is under control. ;)

I have the opposite problem, I am forever fishing my bees out of the pond, I even scoop water from the pond to shallow trays in the hope they will use that instead, anything I can do to encourage them to drink from somewhere they won't then drown

I do not know how big your pond is but could you not put some pea netting over the pond it will also help stop the Autumn leaves blowing in there.
Give them another water source, in the past i have seen the bees favour the blue paddling pool with Blue debris netting draped over the top but floating on the waters surface, the netting was placed over the pool to stop birds drowning but the bees liked it maybe the colour attracted them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Debris-Sc...d=182608102020&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Just train the dog. .

The dog is trained but to kill things.

Sounds more like encouraged to attack & "Out of control"?

the most important thing is the leave / off command, obviously its not trained properly.

You come and tell the neighbor then to remove her outside tap and tell her dog to stop peeing on her own plant pots and the job will be a goodun.
You could move your bees out of your garden?

Why don't you offer to fix the leaky tap for the neighbour.

Fixing the tap is the most sensible solution. . . . all that's needed is a new washer.

Fixing the tap . . . Why pay money for chemical deterrents when probably all that's needed is a new washer.
i am trying to keep it simple silly by finding a spray that will deter the bees.
So you're happy to incessantly spray chemicals incurring the recurrent cost but not willing to spend 25p on a tap washer????

Thanks for that BUT nope i not fixing someones tap

Then you're closing your eyes to root cause and excluding the key to solving your problem!:svengo:

So what is the problem Millet with sorting the leaking tap? . . . that seems to be the primary issue?
PH
Fixing the tap is the most sensible solution. Quite a neighbourly thing to do

If the tap wasn't leaking there would be NO water! :beatdeadhorse5:

Last edited:
Sounds more like encouraged to attack & "Out of control"?

You could move your bees out of your garden?

So you're happy to incessantly spray chemicals incurring the recurrent cost but not willing to spend 25p on a tap washer????

Then you're closing your eyes to root cause and excluding the key to solving your problem!:svengo:

If the tap wasn't leaking there would be NO water! :beatdeadhorse5:
Dog Piss.

Latest posts

Back