Destroying supercedure cells yay or nay?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregior

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 4 frame nuc with a newly mated queen that started laying about 3 weeks ago. The queen is nice and big and is laying beautifully with a lovely brood pattern. I had a quick look inside yesterday and they had built 2 supercedure cells that were nearly capped. They had started building them about a week ago which is when I marked the queen so I thaught possibly the marking procedure had caused them to build the cells. Anyway I destroyed them both thinking if they try again i'll let them get on with it, but I am wondering what the rest of you would do in this situation?

Something wrong in the queen's pheronome production, if bees want to change the queen. I woud bye a new good laying queen

I have 4 frame nuc with a newly mated queen that started laying about 3 weeks ago. The queen is nice and big and is laying beautifully with a lovely brood pattern. I had a quick look inside yesterday and they had built 2 supercedure cells that were nearly capped. They had started building them about a week ago which is when I marked the queen so I thaught possibly the marking procedure had caused them to build the cells. Anyway I destroyed them both thinking if they try again i'll let them get on with it, but I am wondering what the rest of you would do in this situation?
4 frame nuc .... queen laying lots of brood ? What makes you think they were supercedure cells ... with the amount of forage about at present and the predicted weather reasonably stable my bet would have been that they were swarm cells not supercedure - not unheard of for nucs to swarm - particularly if the space was constricticted. I'd have been tempted to leave the cells in the nuc with a frame of stores and a frame of bees dummied down and move the queen and the rest into another nuc with some drawn comb or foundation and see what happens. In view of the fact that you've knocked the cells down I would keep a close eye as they may build a lot more very quickly ... and seriously think about giving them space (a dummied down hive perhaps or a bigger nuc..

We did, we bought a new queen (£45) as they had been trying to get rid of the queen since last year so we decided to despatch the old queen (1 Yr old!!!!), who I was a beautiful laying queen and add a new one. Little tinkers build two new queen cells in the interim, we thought they moved quickly between despatch and requeening so we cut them out.

4 frame nuc, it is not a big thing, what ever it happens to it.
But in my experience, if bees want to change their queen, they will do it sooner or later. Later you will have a drone layer. Perhaps they do not understand in darkness the value of laying patern.

What does it mean. Not always but mostly yes. Do you handle your bees according propability or according exceptions.
It means that I don’t think the bees ALWAYS know best. Surely, if the OP removed the two cells he suspected as supersedure, no more cells are created and the Q heads a thriving colony - the bees (this time) didn’t know best.
Of course the bees crated those two cells for a reason, but is it good for the colony longer term? Maybe yes, maybe no.

This has become very prevalent these days. You may find that when her own progeny takes over the nucleus hive they will be more in sync with her and the problem will disappear. If it doesn't happen go ahead with supercedure. Could be something wrong with the queen. I have had this problem myself.

Are they getting crowded? Perhaps move to a full hive instead of a nuc

I've got a similar situation, 6 frame nuc with good laying queen, today a single charged, nearly capped, Queen cell. Plenty of space to lay, I've been stealing brood to boost other hives, and a super also with space. Queen is less than one year old. I left the QC, let's see what happens! I'm assuming supercedure.
Simon

Latest posts

Back