• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Desperate for Nuc's - North Staffs area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaztafari

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is there anybody out there in Staffs land who has Nat Nuc's for sale?
After spending last year learning as much as poss at a local Apiary, I am desperate to have my own colony. Unfortunately no one at the Apiary can offer me any right now.
Yours hopefully
Gary

After spending last year learning as much as poss at a local Apiary, I am desperate to have my own colony. Unfortunately no one at the Apiary can offer me any right now.
Yours hopefully
Gary

There is a nuc supplier in Staffs. PM on the way.

I don't understand why a local group would put effort into training you but not put effort into producing the nuc you will inevitably want. :confused:

Chris

Chris I think this is common, our local group is doing a huge amount of courses this year (very good too), 3 times as many as last year and yet last year they managed to only provide a handful of nucs - it was a tiny number. My own view is the association should be geared to producing as many nucs as possible to meet demand if they are building expectations up so much.

If you go on a 2+ day course then 50% plus of people will want a nuc at some point.

Jez

You have a PM Gaztafari. Please read and let me know?

PH

Its easy enough to say the association should be providing nuc's but I have found being the apiary manager of our association lots of people offer help but very few actually give help regularly. It tends to be the same handfull of people helping out every week, giving up their free time. Our association has 50+ new beeks this year we are down to 2 hives after winter there is no way we could produce the amount of nucs needed.

But why restrict yourself to nucs out of the association apiary?
How many colonies are owned by existing members? A bit of arm twisting should squeeze a good number of nucs out of them. Perhaps some people just need showing how to make a nuc?

Hi Veg, you are right...In our Apiary there are a nucleus of 5 or 6 people and at least 3 of them newbies (me included) who are there week in, week out, but on average we probably get 10 - 15 people each week. It seems once people have their own colony they don't get the time etc to visit the Apiary as often as they would like, but it would be nice if people who have done their training at an Apiary, and then go on to raise successful colonies, would give something back, and sell at a fair (low!) price, nucs to upcoming Beeks. Breeding is an idea we have discussed and hope to start this year.

i am in a similar position and have bit the bullet and ordered a nuc... i know if i was given a nuc by my association i would make sure i produced one next year to pass onto a another newbeek:D

Hi
I will have some nucs for sale a little later , I am near to Stafford
Cheers Mark

Yours hopefully
Gary

I have Bees you can have free if you bring your equpment & collect from cental Derby, Gary.I have reacting to Bee stings and need to rehome my honey Bees.

Please give me a call on 10332 595437 e: [email protected]
Kay Bate

Why are you getting rid of your bees Kate?

Back