Derbyshire thefts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Any Derbyshire beeks aware of a rash of thefts going on in that area? Ive been made aware that police have been marking hives and kit with smart water in recents weeks and months.

ta

JD

thanks for heads up..

though hopefully, few theives would get past our... goat that never sleeps, german shepherd, pigs without us getting some idea there was something amiss!

Mrs Wazoo noticed a car with searchlight in the field next door where I keep my girls, close to midnight last night - "Do people steal bees?" she says. Panicing somewhat I went out armed with small rubber torch, but the car had gone, and the hives were still intact. Questioned the local shepherd this morning and very relived to fine out it was some chap with a fox vendetta.

Known as lamping , a very common practice :cheers2:

John Wilkinson

The assoc. apiary had frames of bees and brood taken here...worst thing...it had to be a beek. They apparently targeted frames - didn't take 'willy-nilly' and put hive together afterwards...

Last edited:
The assoc. apiary had frames of bees and brood taken here...worst thing...it had to be a beek. They apparently targeted frames - didn't take 'willy-nilly' and put hive together afterwards...

:eek:

I have never heard of a hive or bee theft in Derbyshire and although theft can happen it’s certainly a rare.
If you notice the Derbyshire Police initiative included lots of self publicity and the campaign was started by a senior Officer, they love self publicity, its helps their careers.
Fear not and enjoy a good night’s sleep tonight.

We have a local sherif up on charges for stealing bee hives and equipment here in FL. I think it was in Putnam County. It was in the news just last month.

thats the 2nd lot this year in Derbys. if i catch them at my hives, they wont be leaveing not with the 12 boar at the side of my bed. but you find its the hivesw that are out of view from people that are taken yet within 2 miles of me i know about 5 hives just of the road that you can see as you drive past. as for smart water no good if they take the bees out and sell them as nucs

Mrs Wazoo noticed a car with searchlight in the field next door where I keep my girls, close to midnight last night - "Do people steal bees?" she says. Panicing somewhat I went out armed with small rubber torch, but the car had gone, and the hives were still intact. Questioned the local shepherd this morning and very relived to fine out it was some chap with a fox vendetta.

Yes. You can spot the hive rustlers. They are the ones that go about with a searchlight on the back of their truck at night.

Yes. You can spot the hive rustlers. They are the ones that go about with a searchlight on the back of their truck at night.
:D

And a very effective method of fox control....among others....often squeal the distant one's in closer to shoot them.

I use a piece of polystyrene on a jam jar to call the foxes up. Standing alone in the middle of a field on a moonless night making kissing noises just felt a bit weird, but maybe that`s just me.

Darren.

Haha, presuming no one told them that bees dont fly much after dark and even when they do they're very tricky to catch individually with a spotlight.

It still occurs around here :laughing-smiley-004

I wish they could aim the beam more accurately or switch it off until they've identified where they wish it to be .
I'm often awoken by the light shining through the bedroom window , 5 million candle power sure startles you :mad:.
I saw a 15 million candle power one for sale in B&Q . Jock strap required :biggrinjester:
John Wilkinson

We have a local sherif up on charges for stealing bee hives and equipment here in FL. I think it was in Putnam County. It was in the news just last month.
Missed that news item! No need to worry about your sheriff here in South Yorkshire (little ole England) until he is let out!
Bet the weathers nicer where you are.
Regards
Steven

It still occurs around here :laughing-smiley-004

I wish they could aim the beam more accurately or switch it off until they've identified where they wish it to be .
I'm often awoken by the light shining through the bedroom window , 5 million candle power sure startles you :mad:.
I saw a 15 million candle power one for sale in B&Q . Jock strap required :biggrinjester:
John Wilkinson
Maybe they are not lamping but PEEPING!!
Keep your curtains closed...

I've been woken by a beam through the window too on more than one occassion. But it wasn't lampers - it was the searchlight of the Police helicopter.

Lots of fun lamping (of course, I don't do it any more as its mainly illegal and very naughty, especially bunnies on someone elses land).:blush5:

its not illegal its one of my best forms of rabbit/fox control with a .22 rimfire/centrefire but as you say only if you have permission to be on the land you old poacher you:)

Latest posts

Back