Demarree - advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
I have tried the "search" but couldnt find the details I was after.

Is there a sticky or thread that has a detailed explanation of how to demarree a hive for swarm prevention?

If so could someone provide a link if not could you advise on following:

Is it necessary to have two supers above new brood box with QE's either side or is one enough?

Can you use foundation in the "new" bottom BB and one frame of brood with queen on? I don't have any more drawn comb.

Do you need a demarree board (separate entrance) for old BB's, presume its to let drones out . Can you let them out when opening up hive to remove queen cells etc.?

Also I assume as soon as old brood has hatched you move the bb's back down to a "normal" hive set up - is this the case.

I was planning following set up: (top down)

current BBs with brood
qe
super - drawn comb (currently being filled)
super - foundation
qe
new bb - foundation, 1 frame brood AND queen.

Have I got this right?

Thanks

glad Im not the only one that has problems with searches! plowing my way through result with no luck for clear details of doing AS for when i need it!

JustStarting, I found this on a US web site that might make you smile.

>>
OK, now Swarm control.

You must understand that any type of control is going to cause some honey production loss or cause a difficult management problem. You can CAGE the queen on a brood frame to prevent her egg laying. If you have more patience than the bees and you have eyes better than 20/20 you can cut out queen cells every 8 days (never longer than 8 days) and don't miss a single one, you can split your colony into two separate units and recombine them to a single unit in August (that is my choice), and if you really are strong, young, full of ambition, and CRAZY, you can save all your honey crop and not lose a swarm by using the DEMAREE method. I did it when I was young and foolish, and never again! You can look it up in a book if you,want.
>>

From http://www.mainebee.com/articles/georgeswarm.php

It's from Maryland US, so to be taken with a pinch of UK salt, I guess, but the gung ho tone of the whole thing (and hilarious punctuation in some parts) amused me, and the fact that there are obviously a million ways to manage bees gives life a bit of perspective

This looks like a somewhat more sober description, and more in line with the information given by Muswell Metro and others on the forum

http://www.countryrubes.com/images/Swarm_Prevention_By_Demaree_Method.pdf

(Though this does not have the second QE that many on this forum have recommended)

David

If you demaree and really do knock out all queen cells, as a method of swarm prevention, why would you need a second Q/E?

RAB

Because David Cushman says so? ;)

Insurance, I guess, or keeping the drones up in the brood chamber rather than roaming around the supers trying to find a way out?

Latest posts

Back