Demaree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees knees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We did a demaree on all 3 of our colonies 8 days ago to try and prevent swarming. One colony I think we were too late as there were already early charged q cells. Today it looks like they have swarmed leaving lots of q cells behind in both brood boxes.

The other 2 colonies look much better - definitely laying queens in the bottom brood boxes. What I'm not sure should have happened though is that there are a few capped q cells in both colonies in the top (old brood) boxes. We have removed these but why would they have developed? Is it because the old brood boxes are above 2 supers and therefore quite a way from the queen so the bees up top think they haven't got one? This is our first time trying the demaree method and I do hope we haven't messed up! All comments gratefully received.

That's exactly why you got QCs up top. You can knock them down or use the queens for another colony. Beekeepers use a Demaree to make queens not just for swarm prevention.
If you Demareed 8 days ago and the QCs are sealed they must have made them as soon as you closed up or you missed some early ones.

Latest posts

Back