Demaree my hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydragon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've a National Hive which came through the winter just fine (formed from a nuc late last summer).

Curently I've a super on there which they are filling out well and I am about to put a 2nd super on.

The queen is a Carnolian and possibly swarmy, plus I want to move the hive onto a 14x12 BB anyway.

So... I'm thinking of using the Demaree method to counteract any swarming in May and to move the hive over to 14/12 BB, like this;

1. Remove the existing National BB and take queen on a single frame of brood and place in the middle of a new 14x12 BB, filled with new frames/foundation (the frame with the queen will be a std national deep frame so there will be a gap underneath, but I don't think this will matter?).

2. Place QE on top of 14x12, followed by 2 x supers, another QE and then the original national BB.

3. wait a week, inspect national BB and destroy any queen cells

4. wait a week, inspect national BB and destroy any queen cells

5. wait a week, inspect national BB and destroy any queen cells

6. wait a week, inspect national BB and destroy any queen cells and then shake any remaining bees in the national BB into the new 14x12 BB and then remove the now empty National BB completely from hive.

7. Remove original national deep frame added to 14x12 and replace with new 14x12 frame and foundation.

Views on whether this is the best thing to do?

I carried a demaree yesterday on one of my colonies also with a Carnolian Queen which had swarmed several times last summer. This year I decided to be proactive and under advice from a beekeeper who uses the demaree method, it was carried BEFORE any QCs were seen.

I'm not sure that the repeated inspections for 4 weeks on the original BBs are necessary as QCs should not be formed for such a long period after an artificial swarm.

Richard

I'm not sure that the repeated inspections for 4 weeks on the original BBs are necessary as QCs should not be formed for such a long period after an artificial swarm.
You may be right. My thought process was to leave the original BB on top of the hive for 4 weeks total, giving all the original brood enough time to hatch out. At which point I would end up with empty frames in the original BB and I could then shake any remaining bees into the 14x12.

Certainly better safe than sorry, my mentor has advised with very swarmy bees you will need to repeat the demaree process several times throughout the swarming season.

I'll be interested to compare notes over the next few weeks and see how well this method copes with the Carnolian stock.

Regards

Richard

Hi Meikle and Sky Dragon

I'm thinking of using the Demaree method this year to avoid swarming this year. How did you get on last year - I would be really interested in any conclusions you reached in 2010. I guess the acid test is will you be using Demaree in 2011 :)

that inspection/Queen cell destruction method seems a bit over the top - so long as HM identified and place downstairs at start then after 1 week (at the very most) no more queen cells can be produced.

I thought the Demaree method was a method for increasing colonies artificially.
I'm planning on giving it a try this year to turn my single colony into 3 or 4 colonies.
Now assuming, everything I've read is correct - 4 beeks = 24 opinions :)
1) After moving the original BB on top of the supers wait 2 days then destroy any QC - gets rid of the low quality emergency cells
2) Wait 7 wait inspect again and check on progress - should have several (capped) QC at this point made from eggs that hatched after the BB was moved.
3) Wait another 5 days then split into 2/3 nucs depending on the number of QC / amount of capped brood / amount of stores

As I undersand it timing is critical on doing this, any pointers would be really useful.

Latest posts

Back