Demaree method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it! its simple keeps the hive as one gives you plenty of options for making increase or not, all you need extra is a brood box. Switching the frames isn’t a bother as you are checking them anyways as part of the inspection

I like it too ... my only issue is that sometimes you get a stray egg layer in the top bb which is/was confusing to newbie like me !

I like it too ... my only issue is that sometimes you get a stray egg layer in the top bb which is/was confusing to newbie like me !

It may have been your thread I read I was thinking as long as I did a rolling demaree there would always be enough pheromones throughout the hive. I just didn’t anticipate them filling the replaced frames as quick as they did. So hopefully she’s got enough room to lay!

It may have been your thread I read I was thinking as long as I did a rolling demaree there would always be enough pheromones throughout the hive. I just didn’t anticipate them filling the replaced frames as quick as they did. So hopefully she’s got enough room to lay!

That is always the big problem with Demaree...stick a Snelgrove board (or whatever variation) between and you are rocking....
They cannot fill the frames above...you get same result and your honey where you want it.
Can also be used as vertical pagden etc etc.

That is always the big problem with Demaree...stick a Snelgrove board (or whatever variation) between and you are rocking....
They cannot fill the frames above...you get same result and your honey where you want it.

Ye it’s my mistake really as she had filled 7 frames so I swapped all 7 when in hindsight I could of put like 4 up there as some were capped brood and would have emerged and she could have laid in them again. I only changed a few on my other hives. But you learn from the mistakes

I was thinking about going in there and swapping things about but 1 it’s been pouring down all day and looks like it will be for the next few days so by the time I get in there the damage will probably already be done so may need a different approach

A little off topic but - This reminds me very much of the Poem: ‘To Risk’ – By William Arthur Ward.
............edit........."To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing........edit..."

Last edited:

If you are running a snelgrove on a two queen hive following swarm control, do you super between the two brood boxes or run supers above the top brood box as well as the bottom? do bees from the top box move down to bottom fairly freely considering the small queen excluded gap in the board... I've been pondering this.

Can you just put a snelgrove between the two brood boxes with 2 different queens? will they not attempt a ruck through the gauze or QE?

Never done it quite like that so I couldn't comment, but, on numerous occasions (only a few accidental) I have left the top Demarree raise their own queen and left her in situ until the end of the season. The Demarree boards I have made are basically just a crown board with a 10mm rim on the top surface as well as the bottom, this has a forward facing entrance and a 3"x2" hole in the middle of the board covered by a queen excluder.

The Demarree boards I have made are basically just a crown board with a 10mm rim on the top surface as well as the bottom, this has a forward facing entrance and a 3"x2" hole in the middle of the board covered by a queen excluder.

To simplify things if it has board it's a Snelgrove or modification of. If it hasn't got a board it's a Demaree or variation of..

If you are running a snelgrove on a two queen hive following swarm control, do you super between the two brood boxes or run supers above the top brood box as well as the bottom? do bees from the top box move down to bottom fairly freely considering the small queen excluded gap in the board... I've been pondering this.

Supers go on top of bottom brood box if you are bleeding flyers back into the bottom half. Or at least you are if you doing a classic Snelgrove.
As time passes and you decide what you are going to do then it's possible to add a super to top box...but it's now a very high stack.
What I tend to do is move the top brood box onto a proper floor and stick it alongside the original hive with the entrance facing the same as the last open Snelgrove board. Bees seem to have no problems adjusting to their entrance now being a few feet lower.

Well next thing I suppose is how to empty these brood frames of honey

I don’t have the means to extract them.

What other options are on the table?

If I put the brood box below the current bottom box without an excluder she will move down into it and I’ll be running double brood but have previously overwintered in brood and a half but was hoping to end that this season so was probably going for single brood box

Last edited:

At least Demaree will not help you in this situation. The hive will be filled with honey, as you have seen. And you try to move the honey to "another place".

Last edited:
Well next thing I suppose is how to empty these brood frames of honey

If I put the brood box below the current bottom box without an excluder she will move down
into it and I’ll be running double brood but have previously overwintered in brood and a half
but was hoping to end that this season so was probably going for single brood box

Which then brings the threads back to my post #2.
As put... only an exercise for the curious.

What to do with no extraction option?
The frames could always be stored as food for colony development or
supplement in extended dearth... throw them into a sealed container with
a handfull of C02 pellets for 24hrs, check seal after and stack away.
Keep for months like so if crystalisation does not set in on the honey type.

Bill

At least Demaree will not help you in this situation. The hive will be filled with honey, as you have seen. And you try to move the honey to "another place".

Still got 13 frames roughly of brood and at present. Just having a look at my options

Latest posts

Back