Delaying Oxalic treatment because of cold!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I have decided not to do this yet as it is so cold and I don't want to disturb the bees. Hoping for a milder spell in a few weeks time and hoping that this is okay. :chillpill:

There could be unhatched brood in some colonies, so not a good idea to treat them yet.

RAB

3 weeks too early?

i thought that it was traditional to use oxalic treatment as an excuse to escape family for a while on Boxing day.

Last edited:
i thought that it was traditional to use oxalic treatment as an excuse to escape family for a while on Boxing day.
Traditional ? :D
To this must have it now world must we now have instant tradition ? :D:D

John Wilkinson

Well being very mindful of John's comments ...... it has been my 'customary practice' to administer oxalic for the girls and sloe gin for me at some point over the Christmas holidays:D

On a more serious note, any time over the winter period when they are broodless does the job, so in answer to louise, if it was still -15'C over the Xmas break (as it is today in Yorks again today) then I'd delay and wait for at least +ve temperatures. In reality we have a comfortable 2 month + window to administer - Jan & Feb. R

Well being very mindful of John's comments ...... it has been my 'customary practice' to administer oxalic for the girls and sloe gin for me at some point over the Christmas holidays:D

On a more serious note, any time over the winter period when they are broodless does the job, so in answer to louise, if it was still -15'C over the Xmas break (as it is today in Yorks again today) then I'd delay and wait for at least +ve temperatures. In reality we have a comfortable 2 month + window to administer - Jan & Feb. R
Most UK bees carry a little brood in normal Winters but the last one and now this one thus far must make OA treatment more efficient ?.Last Winter could be the reason why reduced varroa loadings were reported?
Wait for it! AMM fans may argue but what's life without a little controversy ?:D

John Wilkinson

ok ok

It has become common practice for many of those blessed with the presence (and presents) of family and friends over the upcoming (festive) period, to administer said treatment, if desired, at an appropriate point in said period when a brief respite from the other traditional activities is required.

I believe that rather than perform an act of selfless sacrifice Captain Oates in fact slipped out on similar winter beek duties. "I'm just nipping out to check on fondant levels in my mini-nucs. I'll be back shortly" were his apparent last words and evidence for this was found in the form of empty tate and lyle bags , a burnt pan and a sugar thermometer amongst the uneaten H&P hard tack biscuits.

If only BKF had been around then - VM and RAB could've saved him wasting his time!!!

Been imbibing the traditional Christmas port wine early this year Doc?:D:D

VM

What a wonderful idea!! I might volunteer to do the teaching apiary as well as my lot. I might find others doing the same...........we could have :party:without anybody's outlaws.

Volunteers required at our branch out apiary 9th inst :sifone:

John Wilkinson

Now... my Grandad being a Primitave Methodist, would say to me "Don't disturb the bees during Ephinay.. or was it Epiffanee?"

and leave well alone till one week after Candlemass.

My American cousin has just sent me a 13 page letter about his bees, and in answer to the question of when to "Oxallate yous bees" answers not before Grounhog Day and if the groundhog do not see his shadow do it straightaway but if he do see his shadow you don't wanna get straight in there with that ox'late, but if the hog don't see that shadow spring will be early and you better go, cos them bees is gonna be broodin up real quick.

Phil my cousin is in Philadelphia my uncle (my Grandfathers brother emigrated in 1923 from the South Welsh Coalmining vallies after loosing his job due to the closure of mines after the strike.... once before the miners were striking not for more pay, but the right to work, it took Thatcher to deliver the "coop de grace" and finally kill off all our heavy industry.

Groundhog day I belive is on 2nd Febuary, most years?

Last edited:
Volunteers required at our branch out apiary 9th inst :sifone:

John Wilkinson

JW are you trying to entice me over the sacred border? On the map of England I bought at a York newsagent it shows the pennines very clearly, beyond that it just says 'here there be dragons'

JW are you trying to entice me over the sacred border? On the map of England I bought at a York newsagent it shows the pennines very clearly, beyond that it just says 'here there be dragons'
One of the members of Blackburn beeleepers lives just outside of Keighley :D
HE mustn't be a scaredy cat :willy_nilly:

John Wilkinson

The gentleman bee bandit and purveyor of bee equipment told me that it was traditional to give the bees a pattie of Nectrarpol or similar for Christmas and I believed him in my first year. I felt very excited going out and putting them in the rooves of the hives on Christmas Day.

The gentleman bee bandit and purveyor of bee equipment told me that it was traditional to give the bees a pattie of Nectrarpol or similar for Christmas and I believed him in my first year. I felt very excited going out and putting them in the rooves of the hives on Christmas Day.

Hoof hooves
Roof roofs :D:D:D

Couldn't resist Soz!

John Wilkinson

Many beekeepers think that when they listen to bees with stetoscope, they stay alive.

SIP2006860_P.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies everyone, the consensus of opinion seems to be to use this as an excuse when all around are getting a bit much in the holiday period. I am now suitably relaxed about it and will wait until the new year. Thick frost here, staying all day with no respite - so it is clearly way below freezing point. Louise

Back