defra,

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessary but somewhere to wash his hands would be appreciated :seeya:

John Wilkinson

They are not the enemy or someone to be scared of, their job is to check the health of your bees and give advise/help as required and they are free!!! Make use of their knowledge as its what they are there for.
kev

I had the inspector visit last year. He was most helpful and informative. I invited the inspector to come in previous years. They are a resource we should make use of. It is the only bit of my taxes that I have ever felt I had value for money from.

I work for DARD which is the equivilent to DEFRA over here in northern ireland, I work as a health and welfare inspector for mostly cattle and sheep. I always appreciate being brought in for tea and buscuits as it gives an informal atmosphere to talk about the inspection. So I'd suggest bringing him/her in.

I had an inspector visit last year too and it was very useful. She managed to identify a problem for me and she will be welcome back anytime. Being a newbee she also put my mind at rest that so far i had got everything right. I would like to have a visit every year to put my mind at rest but sadly they dont have enough dosh to visit all of us every year. :)

SBI's are a font of knowledge - as has already been typed, dont fear them, but use the time with them to pick their brains and gain uselful information.

By the way, I usually give them a slice of cake, if the Dog hasnt got there first.....bee-smillie

If they were helpful, polite, friendly and you learnt something, then tea, biscuits, cake etc is a nice touch....otherwise a very cold hose pipe on full blast shouting don't darken my doors again etc etc !!

regards

S

Got the inspector Monday or Tuesday of next week" BUG**R ", I've done an artificial swarm and have Queenie trapped by a Q/X. ( she still tries to swarm?abscond !)
Old brood box with swarm cell will probably be hatched and the virgin ,take advantage of this warm spell to get mated "BUG**R" :chillpill:.

John Wilkinson

when i was an apprentice we were always told that you can learn more from making someone a cup of tea than any other form of training because it gives you both time to chat about any subject and never be affriad of asking what to you might be a silly question thats why they are there

I had the SBI in a week or two ago. It was one of the best afternoons of beekeeping I've had in a while. Really helpful informative guy, two cups of tea.

Back