Deformed wing virus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first pupae you are pointing at does not look to be the correct age to of even formed any wings,the second one looks to have got perfectly good wings as this one is much older........how do you tell the pupae in sealed cells are dead...they don't move or anything,and you can't see them. DWV is easy to spot in young already emerged bee's.

The pupa-to-adult molt occurs about 12-20 hours before the adult bee emerges from the cell. The young bee expands her wings and finishes hardening her exoskeleton during this period of time.

this beginers hive had lots of dying DWV beesoutside and the dark central brood pattern had not changed for at least 28 days ( 3 inspections ) and the bees had moved the brood area to the outer ring . the hive was struggling but had large areas of capped brood, it was just wrong

the outer area had a normal cycle egg grub cap. the centre area was much darker colour, the white pupa where from those dark area, the near perfect bee was from the outer ring and normal cycle that had grubs in 2nd inspection (14 days)

there was also dead crescents of simlar dark brood withinh health capped brood, these again had not changed pattern...it was just wrong

some brood on other frames had holes in caps but same white pupa some pupa were being pulled out but no smell or ropey. The hive was inspected two days later by bee inspector ( i was worried it was FB in this beginers hive) and she confirm DWV not FB and high varroa count

she forked all the central dark brood capps and drone brood and told to treat for varroa

no they do eat the small ones but like breaking open snail shells mostly my black rocks will eat small slugs and my male turkey will but not my other two breeds of hens they just like snals lol

MM, i'm not saying they don't have DWV,i'm saying you cannot detect DWV in the pupae you show in your pictures,as the pupae are to young to have wings anyway,as they are not properly formed at that age.
Young emerged bee's with stinted and missing wings is the best early detection,as you saw out in front of the hive.
By the sound of the dead larvae they also sound like they have chronic parasitic mite sydrome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back