Deformed Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Ok, not worried as I suspect I know the reason for this - he hopes :)

This all happened whilst I was going over a couple of test nuc’s (in supers) that I am using with supercedure cell, the queens are emerging now but I am having fun spotting virgins at present (no jokes please!).

Anyway, whilst checking I spotted 3 large bees that looked like death warmed up, white, deformed and just pottering around - they could never fly even if they wanted too. They seemed large and I suspect are drone larvae that have been chilled or left with no nurse bees to keep warm. Not seen any other issues with the other worker bees so I dont think its a disease issue.

Does this sound like a good explanation?

Jez

Don't be fooled, they could have varroa. The varroa mite particularly likes drone brood, the female lives in the cell with the drone. I would check for varroa mites as a starting point. Sometimes you will find deformed bees espically drone laying outside the hive dead and this can also be a sign of heavy infection.

Busy Bee

Don't be fooled, they could have varroa. The varroa mite particularly likes drone brood, the female lives in the cell with the drone. I would check for varroa mites as a starting point. Sometimes you will find deformed bees espically drone laying outside the hive dead and this can also be a sign of heavy infection.

Busy Bee

this is a swarm that I split 4 ways a week ago, I will do a thorough check on all the nucs and hives tomorrow, I don’t think its varroa but understand what you are saying. Remember we had some very cold nights of late, and there is no way the drone cells scattered around could be kept warm on the smaller nucs.

Drones fly from hive to hive unchallenged, so the drones in the hive mite not necessarily be from that hive and these are the culprites for spreading varroa. Correct me forum if I am wrong!

Busy Bee

Drones fly from hive to hive unchallenged, so the drones in the hive mite not necessarily be from that hive and these are the culprites for spreading varroa. Correct me forum if I am wrong!

Busy Bee

True, I believe that to be correct.

I am due to check all the hives this week anyway, todays storms just made my already angry bees too p*iss*d off to do much with them.

Jezd, what are you going to do when you haves hundreds of hives,you have to work on them no matter what they are like, and in all weathers.

LOL, Hivemaker that reminds me of a chap who would only ride his horse on sunny days, a fair weather rider.

Busy Bee

Jezd, what are you going to do when you haves hundreds of hives,you have to work on them no matter what they are like, and in all weathers.

lol, true true, I am happy with that, today was just a combination of grabbing time between family and huge storms - I felt the bees could wait one day and so could I.

There is (and I would have) a very different approach when dealing with hives from 20 to 100.

LOL, Hivemaker that reminds me of a chap who would only ride his horse on sunny days, a fair weather rider.

Busy Bee

I am a fair weather fisherman mind, spent too many days on fishing matches in cold rainy weather mid-November!

Well, I used to go out in all sorts of weather - farming, bricklaying, hunting, Fishing, I've played and worked in all sorts, so now I only do good days! Espically bee keeping but that mite change.

Busy Bee

Latest posts

Back