Deep Orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi all

Bees are bringing in loads of dark orange pollen:party: any one knows what it could be.

Grub

Hi all

Bees are bringing in loads of dark orange pollen:party: any one knows what it could be.

Grub

The bristol website's pollen guide says it could be Lime, asparagus, buttercup or mustard. Love this pollen guide, beautifully made.....limited in range, but gives a good idea. Saving up for a more extensive guide :)

Bristol link http://www.bristolbeekeepers.org.uk/

The bristol website's pollen guide says it could be Lime, asparagus, buttercup or mustard.

Could also be rockrose, field scabious, lime and buttercups i think are orange as opposed to deep orange. Di

The bristol website's pollen guide says it could be Lime, asparagus, buttercup or mustard.

Could also be rockrose, field scabious, lime and buttercups i think are orange as opposed to deep orange. Di

Just went off the two darkest orange colours from the site, I agree though the buttercup and mustard one was nearer mid orange. Just gives a general idea though I think

Hi Kaz, no problem, guides are all different, i just noted the colours on my guide. It pays to know whats in flower around where you live though or its just guessing unless there is only one a certain colour:.)

I can't wait to see them bring the bright blue pollen :D I've never seen that before.

Kaz, remind me, my guide doesnt have blue and I've forgotten.... please:.)

There are 3 on here, rosebay willow herb, vipers bugloss and oriental poppy. so I may see some soon if I'm lucky as we have lots of rosebay willowherb coming into flower :)

There are 3 on here, rosebay willow herb, vipers bugloss and oriental poppy. so I may see some soon if I'm lucky as we have lots of rosebay willowherb coming into flower :)

Oh yes, now u mention it, v b does look blue, just very dark on my guide. I thought o p was black and guide says rb wh is dark green, but ours has nearly finished flowering and the only green ive noticed i thought was meadowsweet??? :.)

OP looks very dark blue, almost black on this one, and rbwh looks blueish green, quite dark though. Like you said, just depends on the printing and colour interpretation of the person making the guide. I intend to use it only as a guide and just check what's growing in abundance near me, then try and come to a conclusion. Fun though. :)

Have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source rbwh or fireweed as it is known on here states bright blue, and siberian squill is steel blue! Not sure how close to the real thing you can get on a computer though.

Found this for rbwh, pic of the blue pollen baskets, looks great :) can't wait to see that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blue2.JPG

Last edited:
OP looks very dark blue, almost black on this one, and rbwh looks blueish green, quite dark though. Like you said, just depends on the printing and colour interpretation of the person making the guide. I intend to use it only as a guide and just check what's growing in abundance near me, then try and come to a conclusion. Fun though. :)

Thanks both

I have had some Willow herb coming in and tons of himalayan balsam , but I have had another look its deffo dark orange colour not bright at all .
The Bristol link is realy intresting

Grub

Thanks both

I have had some Willow herb coming in and tons of himalayan balsam , but I have had another look its deffo dark orange colour not bright at all .
The Bristol link is realy intresting

Grub

It's nicely laid out isn't it, but like I said before, not much range. Did it look like anything on there?

Mine have definitely been bringing H balsam in, tons of the stuff nearby growing by the stream running through the allotments they are sited on. Hope you find out what it is they are bringing home :)

The bright orange/red pollen at this time of year is Fleabane.
Got plenty around the hives in Kent, where I was this weekend.

my bees are collecting bright orange sunflower pollen, just tracked some back along their beeline to a large patch of 8ft high sunflowers in a school nursery playground

Mine ( ours lol ) are bringing balsam, white shrouded bees, something else pale creamy colour, but no dusting on their bodies, and now....ta da! Bright orange pollen! Puts me in mind of traffic lights for some reason, it really is bright. Haven't seen any other colours though. :)

That's a great picture of the business end of a bee :p I've not seen anything like that yet....I can't wait too though. What is it? RBWH or O Poppy? Those are the closest I can find on my rather naff pollen guide ;) lol

PS Ahhh, just seen the RBWH in the background lol, might be a clue

That's a great picture of the business end of a bee :p I've not seen anything like that yet....I can't wait too though. What is it? RBWH or O Poppy? Those are the closest I can find on my rather naff pollen guide ;) lol

PS Ahhh, just seen the RBWH in the background lol, might be a clue

Phacelia is a similar gorgeous colour.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back