Dee Lusby's secret of resistant bees...DNA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to confess that I had never heard of Solomon Parker at all, so I googled the name looking for a scholarly article or perhaps a book - how naive of me. I did find references to many 'podcasts' and then realised it was all virtual when I finally discovered he was listed through the narcissistic solipsistic facebook - a medium I never use.

A cautionary tale. Some years ago I was living in a bungalow with a foot path on two sides behind 8ft walls.

I had a colony of bees against the back wall facing the building and they were lovely quiet bees. One inspection I spotted very small grubs in queen cups so decided to nuc the queen as I was shortly going offshore for three weeks. I was quietly going through the BB when I found the queen and thought ok so let's be safe and take off a 2nd nuc with a charged cup to be on the safe side. As I was doing that the colony started to make the oddest noise, never heard it pre this time or since, it sounded like a high pitched engine starting to wind up to speed. My partner opened the back door and was promptly stung as was the neighbour who was doing the same. I put the colony back together as fast as I could being very aware of the pathway behind the wall. My partner was stung several times but the neighbour was badly stung and I had to pay her for lost time and distress. It was an utterly horrible experience and thank god for a good bee suit as they went ballistic. So my friends never ever say never. It's just round the corner biding it's time to set you up for a massive fall.

PH

Last time the bee inspector visited she opened up a colony and they were good as gold. I stepped up next to her and suddenly they were all over me, aggressive as anything. I had to walk about 100 yards away before they stopped following me, whilst all the time she was happily standing at the hive inspecting it. Next time I opened them up they were fine.

I must have smelled funny or something (yeah, yeah, you can keep quiet at the back there).

James

I had the opposite: bees fine with me, inspector came and checked them, we went back to the cars and unveiled. Then a few appeared out of nowhere, on the attack, and wouldn't leave him alone! I was very embarrassed.

I'm still interested in how to liquidate bees? Surely to God there is nobody on earth willing to take hers on?

Wasn't this referring to Solomon Parker, who I think identifies as a man? .....or have they made an additional announcement?

I had the opposite: bees fine with me, inspector came and checked them, we went back to the cars and unveiled. Then a few appeared out of nowhere, on the attack, and wouldn't leave him alone! I was very embarrassed.

Bees told their opinion about visitors.

No fixed answer. In some cases, virtually immediate.
But our allotment had a LARGE (2 x brood box plus super) hive which was so bad it was basically uninspectable without two layers of clothing. So requeened it using the move boxes to one side, empty box in space, bleed off old bees.
Left for three weeks . Still bad. Left another three - (this was summer so all original bees dead) and as pleasant as could be.
If the 'old' bees were united at three weeks with another hive would their temperament have changed in the new hive do you know?

If the 'old' bees were united at three weeks with another hive would their temperament have changed in the new hive do you know?

Of course not. Why would they change their opinion? They have an instinct to protect their home. They will not look, what their sisters are going to do.

Last time the bee inspector visited she opened up a colony and they were good as gold. I stepped up next to her and suddenly they were all over me, aggressive as anything. I had to walk about 100 yards away before they stopped following me, whilst all the time she was happily standing at the hive inspecting it. Next time I opened them up they were fine.

I must have smelled funny or something (yeah, yeah, you can keep quiet at the back there).

James
I once had a colony that was psychopathic ! They attacked me . I wandered around trees etc to lose them . I thought I had . I went in the farm house . I was chatting to the farmer when he said . Your mates are after you . I looked up and sure enough the bees were head butting the window panes .
my son in law ( the farmers son ) arrived , walked through the head bangers and entered through the door thankfully closing it behind him .
not one bee paid him any attention.
they hung around waiting for me . I had a brew, then exited via the back door , walked down the back field and hedge and away .
I was the enemy .

Latest posts

Back