Dee Lusby's secret of resistant bees...DNA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He’s certainly a popular speaker 😂😂

Conclusion slide includes gems such as

'more knowledge is not better' and
'care less, enjoy more'.

Honestly sounds like a cult being started. Unless he means care less about being stung and more knowledge is not better unless you want to improve as a beekeeper...

Among the knowledgable beekeepers and scientists I know, Dee Lusby is a fraud and Solomon Parker is a joke. Watch all their videos and decide for yourself.
God knows wat they were attempting to do outside the deliberate scene setting for a sensational movie !

This is actually quite shocking. why would anyone keep bees like those in hives like that?? were the folk attending actually helping (attempting) to manage them ?? Kids too?? 😲 wonder what getting the honey crop off is like?!?

Emyr Jenkins comment (#20), “By some of the responses on the gloves and trousers thread, you would think some people on here must have even worse bees (or are just terrified of their charges)” falls into the category of being uncalled for, unwarranted, and entirely unhelpful.

I wonder whose responses (plural) he is referring to.

On May 10th 2010 a discussion thread “An Experience of Anaphylaxis” was started on this forum by “Roy S”, who told of his particularly unpleasant experience:
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/an-experience-of-anaphylaxis.4534/
If Emyr Jenkins’ bees are so placid that they never become agitated, feisty, or aggressive, then perhaps he has much to be thankful for.

I for one will continue to do what I can to ensure that the bees I inspect remain placid. Until such time as someone can give a 100% guarantee that the bees will never attack, it is a wise precaution to be protectively dressed when working with bees. I know that there are some beekeepers who on occasions work without gloves, or veils, etc, but I think that the adage “better to be safe than sorry” has applicability here.

Emyr Jenkins comment (#20), “By some of the responses on the gloves and trousers thread, you would think some people on here must have even worse bees (or are just terrified of their charges)” falls into the category of being uncalled for, unwarranted, and entirely unhelpful.

I wonder whose responses (plural) he is referring to.

On May 10th 2010 a discussion thread “An Experience of Anaphylaxis” was started on this forum by “Roy S”, who told of his particularly unpleasant experience:
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/an-experience-of-anaphylaxis.4534/
If Emyr Jenkins’ bees are so placid that they never become agitated, feisty, or aggressive, then perhaps he has much to be thankful for.

I for one will continue to do what I can to ensure that the bees I inspect remain placid. Until such time as someone can give a 100% guarantee that the bees will never attack, it is a wise precaution to be protectively dressed when working with bees. I know that there are some beekeepers who on occasions work without gloves, or veils, etc, but I think that the adage “better to be safe than sorry” has applicability here.

I'm not sure jbm's post, quoted, was unwarranted or in any way unhelpful. More, it could be seen as an attention draw to the very poor temperament of many people's bees and their lack of interest in improving their stock (at least, until something real bad happens). I've had plenty of experience of horrendous bees (some of John Rawson's bees which he sold off when he downsized come to mind) - so bad that Julian Johnston had to pull benzaldehyde soaked rags from a biscuit tin under the passenger seat of his truck to get them off me when a boot lace came undone. We took massive numbers of stings that day, the third person present actually disappeared over the fence half way through the afternoon.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this forum who've had similar or worse experience but I now know that there's an easier and safer way to keep bees. Of course we should protect ourselves with good kit but the first line of defense should be good bees. Better for everyone.

Last edited:
Rolande, you seem to agree that sometimes bees react very defensively. You said, “I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this forum who've had similar or worse experience”.

Until such time as everyone has placid bees, none of us should be complacent about “protecting ourselves with good kit”.

It might be sobering for readers to realise just how dangerous bees can be, by reading the article which appeared in an Australian newspaper in January 2013, about three horses which were killed in Tasmania by bees. The newspaper headline called them “killer bees”, but to the best of my knowledge they were not Africanised bees.
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/1213397/swarm-of-killer-bees-kill-horses/
Edited to remove an unwarranted personal attack on another forum member

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure jbm's post, quoted, was unwarranted or in any way unhelpful. More, it could be seen as an attention draw to the very poor temperament of many people's bees and their lack of interest in improving their stock (at least, until something real bad happens). I've had plenty of experience of horrendous bees (some of John Rawson's bees which he sold off when he downsized come to mind) - so bad that Julian Johnston had to pull benzaldehyde soaked rags from a biscuit tin under the passenger seat of his truck to get them off me when a boot lace came undone. We took massive numbers of stings that day, the third person present actually disappeared over the fence half way through the afternoon.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people on this forum who've had similar or worse experience but I now know that there's an easier and safer way to keep bees. Of course we should protect ourselves with good kit but the first line of defense should be good bees. Better for everyone.
Spot on. My bees don't get a chance to be so defensive that I can't manage them with a standard suit and nitriles on my hands. They get a couple of chances and they are requeened. Small fiesty colonies turn into horrid bees in my experience too as the colony gets larger. Stan likes to play with some of the swarms we catch and usually for that year they are OK but almost invariably get a new queen the next.

Understanding_bees, I certainly don't question the danger inherent in working with bees, I remember a colony that my old friend Oliff, the mastiff breeder, had that started killing his chickens (ended up being taken to Hartpury college to be used for assessing students on some bee course...) and my 87 year old aunt still tells the story of the family's bees killing a tethered goat back in the 40s but this is surely the whole point, work for better bees while not being afraid of getting on with the job in hand. No excuse ever for inherently aggressive bees, once we can get that seemingly obvious idea recognised as the norm then we'll be in a position to use protective gear to aide our enjoyment of a potentially dangerous hobby rather than being, as the jbm quote you used earlier, "(or are just terrified of their charges)". Maybe the biggest obstacle is that a lot of beekeepers appear not to know how good bees can be so they're always measuring against an underlying background of ill temper.

Last edited:
It’s called good selection
It’s what most of us aim for either by breeding ourselves or buying in good queens

By some of the responses on the gloves and trousers thread, you would think some people on here must have even worse bees (or are just terrified of their charges)
i'm just a novice but have to think that some issues are caused by some of the beekeepers themselves. I have seen some terrible clumsy beeks crashing through the boxes so not surprised the bees get feisty. I went to visit one apiary where the beek ripped the plastic QX off and shook it before checking and then was surprised to find the hive was queenless. Poor thing was probably flung into the bushes on a previous inspection :hairpull:

i'm just a novice but have to think that some issues are caused by some of the beekeepers themselves. I have seen some terrible clumsy beeks crashing through the boxes so not surprised the bees get feisty. I went to visit one apiary where the beek ripped the plastic QX off and shook it before checking and then was surprised to find the hive was queenless. Poor thing was probably flung into the bushes on a previous inspection :hairpull:
I don't disagree with you at all @Moobee but would point out that some bees are plain evil, the Rawson bees I mentioned earlier would be bouncing off the truck's windscreen before you had chance to get out. Best place for them is the history books!

Latest posts

Back