Decorative Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipm

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Over the winter I,m thinking of making a decorative hive to go in the garden probably something that looks like a windmill.I will be using it as a bait hive as I dont want the bees to stay in the middle of the lawn.Anyone built anything like this? and what did you build? There are various places in eastern europe that have some really interesting hives.

Someone near me has the facade of a WBC hive high on his gable wall, which I thought was purely decorative. I know he keeps bees and recently I noticed that he has placed it so that the entrance is aligned with an air-brick in the wall. I wonder if he has access at the back of this and whether it might double as a bait-hive? If it is, I don't envy him trying to retrieve the bees from within his house but it's a nice feature.

I remember tales of bee poo on his Bentley?
He ran it on LPG and the garage where he filled the Bentley up was just in front if where he had his out apiary, so his inspections coincided with filling the car up ... As he got more poorly he brought all the hves home and had them in his garden and gradually reduced his colony numbers. He was still working on the camper van he had built up to a couple of weeks before he died ... I got a PM to say he was having to go into hospital again as they couldn't balance his meds ... and then another one to say he was out and feeling weak but a lot better ... and that was it. He never let on just how ill he was. Lovely man.

Got picked on by the usual lot on here though.
Yes ... but he could give as good as he got .... most of the time ! He did have time on his hands towards the end and I think sparring with Finnie kept him going !

Yes ... but he could give as good as he got .... most of the time ! He did have time on his hands towards the end and I think sparring with Finnie kept him going !
yes, although the strength of his meds in the last few weeks meant that some of his posts got rather outlandish (although at least he had the excuse - unlike some we see here nowadays 😁 )

Over the winter I,m thinking of making a decorative hive to go in the garden probably something that looks like a windmill.I will be using it as a bait hive as I dont want the bees to stay in the middle of the lawn.Anyone built anything like this? and what did you build? There are various places in eastern europe that have some really interesting hives.
https://anthonypaine.com/project/beehives-at-highgrove/

Latest posts

Back