Decision on Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I treated my colonies with Apiguard 10 days ago, a period coinciding with a brood, during which most had no or very few eggs. Varroa drop was small so I am considering forgoing the second tray of the treatment (so I can put supers back on) then treating with OA dribble. Is this wise?

I treated my colonies with Apiguard 10 days ago, a period coinciding with a brood, during which most had no or very few eggs. Varroa drop was small so I am considering forgoing the second tray of the treatment (so I can put supers back on) then treating with OA dribble. Is this wise?
Have you considered OA by sublimation ? The forced drop from a single dose will tell you whether treatment has been successful ... and won't interfere with the supers going back on.

Have you considered OA by sublimation ? The forced drop from a single dose will tell you whether treatment has been successful ... and won't interfere with the supers going back on.
OA sublimation is my key method of control - it largely accounts for my low varroa counts. I use Apiquard only in June as part of my integrated treatment. This year it fortuitously corresponded to brood break.
I will do a sugar roll test just to be more sure of varroa numbers, and then decide on a second Apiguard tray, given also that temperatures here are hovering at 15ishC for the next week or so.
Thanks all for the comments.

Latest posts

Back