Dearth of nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything just seems to have taken off in the past week and we are now down to our last four spare supers, which will probably be put onto hives tomorrow. Will have to resort to brood boxes and ladders if they don't get a move on and start capping so that we can extract.

Same up here in the Highlands. The clover is abundant, but they're really light on stores. I'm just wondering at what point they might need fed? There's hardly anything capped, it's mostly uncapped nectar they've got, and not loads of that either. The forecast looks like it's going to stay dry for a good bit yet. It's a bit worrying.
Not much in the way of stores here (Lothians) I chose to feed two colonies that were struggling and had next to nothing.

Cut boards (ply from pallets as it's all I've got) for another six supers this evening as there's definitely a flow on. Going to be a busy day tomorrow.

Not much in the way of stores here (Lothians) I chose to feed two colonies that were struggling and had next to nothing.
Yup its been rough here as well. I have been feeding one colony at the farm site for about a month now. If the weather holds up I shall take a good look at them on Monday. Right now its just 13 degrees and cloudy. :hairpull:

Finally got above 15 degrees for more than an hour a day at the weekend.

Tbf some of the hives have been busy anyway, June splits promoted to hives needed supering.

But finally a proper flow this weekend. Won't last but at least they can make something of the bramble before it goes over.

Cut boards (ply from pallets as it's all I've got) for another six supers this evening as there's definitely a flow on. Going to be a busy day tomorrow.
busy making up frames in the evenings for some heavy old supers I swore i would never use again, but luckily hadn't to round to throwing away. Then it will extra brood boxes and making nucs up to bleed bees off and get them to draw comb rather than store honey

Hoping a flow has now started with the warm spell! A lot more activity from all the colonies!

Really wish someone could come up with a hive scale that will connect via a sim card or WiFi and is say £50 so not insanely expensive. Would be fascinating to see how the weight changes and would be interesting to see when an actual flow is on or not on.

Back