Dearth of nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
G'day.
Local beekeepers here had a good spring crop, taking two full supers from established colonies in early to mid-May.
I become lazy at this time of year and rarely examine the brood boxes so today merely lifted the crown boards. The bees were frisky and low in numbers in the top of two supers and there was no honey. Frames of foundation had not been drawn.
Presumably poor nectar flow in what is a severe prolonged drought in these parts - despite the clover and bramble in full bloom and the lime just over.
I've cancelled thoughts of taking a couple of hives to the sandy heaths of heather near Dunwich on the coast.

Clover needs humid 20C but I’ve been told that even big flowers can be foraged by short tongued honey bees as the nectar creeps along the flower tubes by capillary action.
Bramble needs sunshine and purportedly doesn’t release nectar unless it is sunny. It’s been mighty cloudy for a long time here in west Wales.

What is really annoying is the amount of clover and blackberry round here is more than i have ever seen so that fits in with Dani's post. Hopefully as it warms up this week the nectar will start to flow!!!!

What is really annoying is the amount of clover and blackberry round here is more than i have ever seen so that fits in with Dani's post. Hopefully as it warms up this week the nectar will start to flow!!!!

It's been warm and mainly sunny for a few weeks this side of the country - and still there's no flow!

Same up here in the Highlands. The clover is abundant, but they're really light on stores. I'm just wondering at what point they might need fed? There's hardly anything capped, it's mostly uncapped nectar they've got, and not loads of that either. The forecast looks like it's going to stay dry for a good bit yet. It's a bit worrying.

It was pouring out of the combs today, any spare cell in the broods was full of nectar, dust your supers off . ;)

It was pouring out of the combs today, any spare cell in the broods was full of nectar, dust your supers off . ;)

Out of or into?

Worst drought here that I can remember. Three rainwater tanks almost empty and water level in our well too low to activate the submersible pump we use to water the garden and top up the pond. 25C this afternoon and forecast to go higher.

Out of or into?

Worst drought here that I can remember. Three rainwater tanks almost empty and water level in our well too low to activate the submersible pump we use to water the garden and top up the pond. 25C this afternoon and forecast to go higher.
All the water has gone to NSW/Qld this year it seems. Sydney on 1830mm so far this year or around 72 inches in a bit over 6 months.

Out of or into?

Out of.
I had to inspect a couple and any spare cell in the broods were full of nectar. Dripping from the frames.

I'm assuming it's blackberry, there is still an abundance of it in flower. A fair amount of clover around and there are some large stands of willowherb, seed heads forming lower down already. Balsam out and more to follow, the season seems to be flying.

Clover needs humid 20C but I’ve been told that even big flowers can be foraged by short tongued honey bees as the nectar creeps along the flower tubes by capillary action.
Bramble needs sunshine and purportedly doesn’t release nectar unless it is sunny. It’s been mighty cloudy for a long time here in west Wales.
Some good weather coming though. First nice day here for a couple of weeks yesterday afternoon and I could hear the bees working a bramble bush nearby.

Some good weather coming though. First nice day here for a couple of weeks yesterday afternoon and I could hear the bees working a bramble bush nearby.
Yes I actually saw some sun today and the thermometer rose to around 17degrees for a while. Sunday is supposed to be better around here and looking forwards to Monday as well

No drought here: raspberries and strawberries best for years.
Been cloudy and cold for weeks : now warming up...Tomatoes large in greenhouse but a month later vs 2021 for first ripe ones due to lack of sunlight.

Latest posts

Back