Dealing with bad tempered bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>20
Comments and tips on dealing with bad tempered colonies of honeybees and the reasons why temperament may change (for the worse) please.

There are a variety of ways in which I would deal with badly tempered stocks of bees ad given recent debate, thought it might be helpful for forumers to collect their observations in a fresh thread.

In the past I have found that colony temperament had greatly improved where a stock has been moved from a position of shade into full sun.

I have requeened bad tempered colonies with both virgin and mated queens and within minutes of inserting the Q release cage, there has been a very noticeable improvement in colony temperament (less following and reduced defensive behavior in the vicinity of the hive).

Two years ago I noticed that a colony had become very defensive, veil pinging 3m away from the hive. On checking them during a break between rain showers, I found they were nearly out of stores. When fed, their temperament returned to what it was previously, no defensive behavior on approaching the hive.

Weather conditions (particularly rain and thunder) can have an adverse impact upon colony temperament.

Agree with all above.

They can get grumpy at the end of a flow too

I agree, in my limited knowledge and experience.
I moved some bees to another site and their temper changed within a day or so of the leaves growing on the trees.
As soon as their new position became shaded by trees they went nasty.
At the end of the OSR flow they went to a new level, removing the supers I got stung 8 times through my suit and took countless other stings to my clothing.
Hopefully I am going to move some this weekend and see if they improve in a less shaded area.
Nasty bees drain all the enjoyment out of beekeeping.

Thunderstorms and hot humid and overcast conditions tend to make mine grumpy..as being Q-, hungry, predated by sparrows/swifts and others bee ills...

A welcome post

Glad to read your thoughts. I have been very concerned this week with the very uncharacteristic behaviour of my bees. Previously calm and benign they have been attacking neighbours, driving them from their garden and willing to sting innocents 30 yards away from the hives. I had just collected two supers of honey and had left some of the extracted frames outside to be 'cleaned up' by the bees(probably a mistake but I had nowhere else to put them). Plus there had been three swarms, two of which I had caught and rehoused on the site in makeshift hives. A lot of upheaval. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of food in the area but I had been thinking that one of the hives was queenless. Perhaps they have every right to be upset and to take it out on someone.
Should I expect them to settle?

I had just collected two supers of honey and had left some of the extracted frames outside to be 'cleaned up' by the bees(probably a mistake but I had nowhere else to put them).

Never do that.
The best place to put them at this time of year is back on the colony they came from.

Yes that's what I did with most of the frames but I had used the supers they had come from to hastily provide a temporary refuge for the swarms I had collected.

In which case they would be OK stored upright somewhere bee tight till you got the kit.....never have enough;)
I store all my supers wet over winter in a stack in a cool room.

Latest posts

Back