Dealing with ant hills

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In the paddock where l keep my hives l have some huge ant hills which have grown over many years. What is the best way of dismantling these? They are still active. (Please don't say leave nature alone - they make the paddock a trip hazard every time l inspect). Will ants, like honeybees, make a new queen if their queen is destroyed? Are there several colonies within one big ant hill? Had no joy in asking on a gardening forum so thought someone here might have expertise?

Last edited:
What type of ants are they? Black, red or wood?
(I think it's usually the big wood ants that create heaps)

I had three massive ant mounds on the lawn/orchard when I moved in, I just dug each one up in its entirety into a wheelbarrow and dumped them out on the plot behind the garden and they sorted themselves out.

I Agree with jbm I would dig them up.
Would you suggest a time of day jbm?.

I cannot recall when I dit it to be honest - it was over 25 years ago!
It may have been early morning as I had got into the habit in those days of waking up at stupid o'clock and doing a few hours trying to reclaim my new garden (only just moved in to a much neglected Brynmair) before going off to do a shift at the airport or docks. - so may also have been after a shift in the evening :D

Google. Multimite
It is a dry powder that you can sprinkle on ants nests. We bought a 10kg box. Also does red spider mite for chickens. Good for woodlice in the greenhouse too.....oh and bedbugs if you have them! And slugs and snails. Can put it on animals. Worked well for us on ants and red spider mite
E

What type of ants are they? Black, red or wood?
(I think it's usually the big wood ants that create heaps)
They're what l call red ants, give a v nasty sting. I have dismantled several hills and scattered them around the area; sounds as though this was not the best idea - should have barrowed them up and tipped down the old quarry?

Still another dozen or so to deal with!

Google. Multimite
It is a dry powder that you can sprinkle on ants nests. We bought a 10kg box. Also does red spider mite for chickens. Good for woodlice in the greenhouse too.....oh and bedbugs if you have them! And slugs and snails. Can put it on animals. Worked well for us on ants and red spider mite
E
I do use diatomaceous earth which l believe is multi mite, on my chickens but to use it on the number and size of ant hills l have to deal with (l may have understated at 12!) would be prohibitively expensive. Wouldn't the powder have to touch each individual ant? Quite a task!!

Your anthills are probably decades old. Once removed it will take ages for them to get to that size again. I would cut the top off to level the ground and sprinkle the powder on the open nest.

Your anthills are probably decades old. Once removed it will take ages for them to get to that size again. I would cut the top off to level the ground and sprinkle the powder on the open nest.
You're right. They are decades old! I think it is a good plan to level them, then sprinkle the powder.lt will be a lengthy project - l shall start tomorrow. I think these hills probably started as mole hills, which weren't dealt with - the moles moved on and the hills were colonised by the ants.

Back