Dead out old frames with drone brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardK

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Ideally 3 to 5.
A couple of months ago I found a hive queenless with a drone laying worker. I shook it out and stored all the frames; now I need to do something with them. There are repeated instances of drone brood on the frames, with larvae still in their cells. Before re-using any frames should I cut these larvae out or will the recipient hive sort it out?

before re-using any frames should I cut these larvae out or will the recipient hive sort it out?
Best burn combs with dead brood, Richard. Although the risk of disease may be low, no need to tempt fate. By all means re-use clean newer combs and those with stores.

A couple of months ago I found a hive queenless with a drone laying worker. I shook it out and stored all the frames; now I need to do something with them. There are repeated instances of drone brood on the frames, with larvae still in their cells. Before re-using any frames should I cut these larvae out or will the recipient hive sort it out?

As long as they are from your own apiary, that you have no concerns over regarding disease, I would just cut the cells with brood in out and use the frame, personally.

As long as they are from your own apiary, that you have no concerns over regarding disease, I would just cut the cells with brood in out and use the frame, personally.
Yes ... I'd use an uncapping fork and clear out the dead larvae - give the bees a head start in cleaning things up - which they will. I think we sometimes worry unncessarily about re-using frames - drawn comb is a valuable commodity and if there has been no signs of disease I would re-use it.

Latest posts

Back