Dead lavae and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many other beekeepers in countries not as well off as we are use alternative treatments like rhubarb leaves for varroa and wood ash for storing frames, perhaps they don't work as well as what we have but they have no choice.

While on the subject of sugar! Am I correct in thinking that caster sugar dissolves easier (smaller granules) than the normal granulated stuff.
If you are making sugar syrup, then yes. But it’s often more expensive and it doesn’t take that long to dissolve sugar in hot water….

While on the subject of sugar! Am I correct in thinking that caster sugar dissolves easier (smaller granules) than the normal granulated stuff.
Tesco prices: granulated sugar 65p/kg, caster sugar £1.60/kg.

If you're making nice cakes it's worth paying extra for finer sugar but in syrup the granulated sugar will dissolve completely in minutes.

It may do but it's a lot more expensive than granulated if you are thinking of making syrup with it...

Many other beekeepers in countries not as well off as we are use alternative treatments like rhubarb leaves for varroa and wood ash for storing frames, perhaps they don't work as well as what we have but they have no choice.
Oxalic acid is cheap as chips and very effective.

It may do but it's a lot more expensive than granulated if you are thinking of making syrup with it...
I make syrup with cold water, leave it to soak then agitate, ( using old upright twin tub)The difference in price for 25kg sack of caster/granulated was less than 1 pound in cash and carry

Last edited:
Try to find icing sugar that doesn’t contain an anti caking agent as this doesn’t seem to do the bees much good I’ve found. Tate & Lyle one is good.
Thank you moobee

The trouble is that beekeeping for lots is regarded as some sort of arcane art whereas it's now modern and full of science and is easily approached with common sense once the basic grounding is achieved. Getting your first bees from some crusty old codger who still rolls with folklore and magic has you off on the wrong foot straight away
I see what your both saying. However prior to this I always used Api strips.

Latest posts

Back