Dead lavae and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why do we keep seeing members banned for 'heretical' viewpoints which don't fit in with the forum ethos? Not just rhubarb leaves, although that has been contentious in the past.

And then people come back with new names but same dissenting points of view, till they're eventually booted off again for the same old same old. 🙄
You’re completely wrong. Nobody has ever been banned for those reasons.
A Heretic in the non religious meaning is a person holding an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted.
Once there was the B B K A then there was this forum and thus were we born out of heresy

Last edited:
Welll ,... I'm sorry - I haven't EVER seen anyone on here banned for having a different point of view ,... brawling about it publicly - yes, - I've even been banned for that offence ... but I'd like you to point to an example of anyone being banned for expressing a point of view or a principle in a reasonable manner on here.
Well apple, for one, disappeared after a series of flippant comments about rhubarb leaves.
The mods at the time said it was a poor example to beginners. Although I'm sure that any beginners reading those threads could quite easily see the numerous posts saying not to use rhubarb.

Well apple, for one, disappeared after a series of flippant comments about rhubarb leaves.
The mods at the time said it was a poor example to beginners. Although I'm sure that any beginners reading those threads could quite easily see the numerous posts saying not to use rhubarb.
That’s not why he was banned. He had a second chance but threw it away

No ... he was banned for a series of very provocative posts which were removed. .. he'd been banned from here three times before and was warned that he would need to be on his best behaviour if he was going to stay ,.. unfortunately Hoppy was one of those peope who could not resist ,,,, it was not just about the rhubarb leaves it was what was said around it.

He had a lot of chances but his opinions were at odds with what is generally accepted. (As per your definition in post 61)
But he wasn't banned for his opinions ... he was banned for his behaviour ....

Not as you suggested ...

Post #58

"So why do we keep seeing members banned for 'heretical' viewpoints which don't fit in with the forum ethos? Not just rhubarb leaves, although that has been contentious in the past.

And then people come back with new names but same dissenting points of view, till they're eventually booted off again for the same old same old.
"

It wasn't him I was referring to re coming back with different names.
But best not to continue with that one..
Well you should. It’s not fair to throw accusations at the moderators without substantiating your argument. I for one have no idea who you are talking about unless it’s Nigel but then all that happened before my time ……

It wasn't him I was referring to re coming back with different names.
But best not to continue with that one..
Oh well ... you are clearly not going to admit that what you suggested was wrong ... even if I think I know who else you may be referring to he's another that was banned for behaviour not opinions ..

Well you should. It’s not fair to throw accusations at the moderators without substantiating your argument. I for one have no idea who you are talking about unless it’s Nigel but then all that happened before my time ……
My initial post was about two different lots of people. The first whom I feel were banned for their opinions, although you obviously feel differently.

My second point was about members who are banned, rightly or wrongly, and come back in a different guise but with the same opinions. Whether you think they're heretical depends on your own viewpoint.

Everyone on here has a particular 'voice' and I'm sure you'll agree that if someone contributes regularly enough quite often you know who's written a post even without looking at the name.

You mods read a lot more posts than I ever would so surely can recognise familiar ways of talking? Emojis etc. Enough said.

Nice one thanks for taking the time to post. I'm gonna have to an order in with him anyway for OA. I use them for frames
Try to find icing sugar that doesn’t contain an anti caking agent as this doesn’t seem to do the bees much good I’ve found. Tate & Lyle one is good.

Try to find icing sugar that doesn’t contain an anti caking agent as this doesn’t seem to do the bees much good I’ve found. Tate & Lyle one is good.
If you have a food processor you can make your own out of ordinary granulated sugar .... to be honest, the small amount of anti-caking agent in some icing sugar is not going to make a lot of difference to your bees subjected to the sugar roll - you are not feeding them with it ... once the go back into the hive their friends will clean them up but they don't have copious amounts of icing sugar on them to clean up and in percentage terms the ACA is minute ...

If you have a food processor you can make your own out of ordinary granulated sugar .... to be honest, the small amount of anti-caking agent in some icing sugar is not going to make a lot of difference to your bees subjected to the sugar roll - you are not feeding them with it ... once the go back into the hive their friends will clean them up but they don't have copious amounts of icing sugar on them to clean up and in percentage terms the ACA is minute ...
The one I used had corn starch in it and it seemed to adversely affect them after the sugar roll with a fair few dying. I assumed the starch had affected their ability to breathe (?) as I wasn’t aggressively shaking them.

The one I used had corn starch in it and it seemed to adversely affect them after the sugar roll with a fair few dying. I assumed the starch had affected their ability to breathe (?) as I wasn’t aggressively shaking them.
I rather suspect that it wasn't the corn starch that caused the deaths ... I usually find a few dead ones after a sugar roll (and I use Tate & Lyle which dies not have anticaking agents in it) but I put it down to the stress of the sugar roll - perhaps they are affected by the icing sugar blocking their ability to breathe but it's not a lot of bees and sometimes it's none at all.

I rather suspect that it wasn't the corn starch that caused the deaths ... I usually find a few dead ones after a sugar roll (and I use Tate & Lyle which dies not have anticaking agents in it) but I put it down to the stress of the sugar roll - perhaps they are affected by the icing sugar blocking their ability to breathe but it's not a lot of bees and sometimes it's none at all.
Ah ok thanks. Thought I was being clumsy and/or didn’t research my sugar properly! 🙄

While on the subject of sugar! Am I correct in thinking that caster sugar dissolves easier (smaller granules) than the normal granulated stuff.

I collected the swarm late July last year. Had some rhubarb leaves in there over winter
You must be kidding me, read a book or two, I dare not ask about covid vaccine, maybe Rhubarb is the answer, sorry, felt the need to inject some humour or go off on one of my hobby horses :confused:

You must be kidding me, read a book or two, I dare not ask about covid vaccine, maybe Rhubarb is the answer, sorry, felt the need to inject some humour or go off on one of my hobby horses :confused:
The trouble is that beekeeping for lots is regarded as some sort of arcane art whereas it's now modern and full of science and is easily approached with common sense once the basic grounding is achieved. Getting your first bees from some crusty old codger who still rolls with folklore and magic has you off on the wrong foot straight away

The trouble is that beekeeping for lots is regarded as some sort of arcane art whereas it's now modern and full of science and is easily approached with common sense once the basic grounding is achieved. Getting your first bees from some crusty old codger who still rolls with folklore and magic has you off on the wrong foot straight away

Crusty old Monty Don recommends that you steep rhubarb leaves in water to make a natural insecticide for your plants.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/jun/01/gardensThe more modern approach taken by Alys Fowler doesn't contradict the efficacy of this solution, but reminds readers that it's not a registered treatment (sound familiar?) and may also kill insects other than the target pest.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/26/alys-fowler-rhubard-leaves-insecticide
It seems unlikely that oxalic acid levels in rhubarb leaves will naturally disperse from leaves draped over beehive frames at levels of concentration sufficient to kill varroa mites. But it's not illogical that traditionalists or beekeepers who favour organic methods might consider this worth a try.

Crusty old Monty Don recommends that you steep rhubarb leaves in water to make a natural insecticide for your plants.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2003/jun/01/gardensThe more modern approach taken by Alys Fowler doesn't contradict the efficacy of this solution, but reminds readers that it's not a registered treatment (sound familiar?) and may also kill insects other than the target pest.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/26/alys-fowler-rhubard-leaves-insecticide
It seems unlikely that oxalic acid levels in rhubarb leaves will naturally disperse from leaves draped over beehive frames at levels of concentration sufficient to kill varroa mites. But it's not illogical that traditionalists or beekeepers who favour organic methods might consider this worth a try.

It may not be illogical but it's illegal.

There is a difference which makes it - illogical. :cool:

Latest posts

Back