Dead lavae and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really give you exact numbers. As I say, I tend to monitor through the year so mine's more of a comparative measurement. It varies through the season as mite numbers go up through the bee-working part of the year. So I'd expect mite numbers to be highest in my colonies sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, after a long period of brood rearing, and right before I start OA vaping. Whereas in spring, when the colonies have only just got going I would expect a lower number.

I treat for varroa by OA vaping towards the end of August, over a 3 week period, to make sure the winter bees aren't going to be affected by mites. And then I do a single vape in December, trying to mop up any remaining varroa whilst the brood nest is at it's smallest so that they start off in spring with as low a load as I can manage. If you read around you'll find plenty of info on the best times to treat - in fact The Apiarist (David Evans) just posted his latest blog last week on controlling varroa. Rational Varroa Control

But to try to answer your question, I guess I'm happy with single figure numbers of mites from 250ml of bees. Around 1 in 100 bees I think is ok - that's about 6 in my jar. But if you start hitting 3 or 4 per 100 bees (into the teens in my jar) then that's going to start affecting your colonies. And once the numbers start going up they can sky rocket pretty quickly.

I think that sounds more scientific than extrapolating, with the presumption that a random group of bees is always going to be properly representative of the whole colony.

Observing natural mite drop whilst adopting that method of comparison gives me day to day guidance as to where mite levels are heading.....or mite be heading. :laughing-smiley-014

Okay so what are you saying

Here's what my jar and lid looks like. View attachment 27539

I literally just filled a measuring jug with 250ml of water, poured it in the kilner jar and marked a line around at that level.
I'm not sure exactly how many bees are in 250ml. I think it's around 700-750, although from a quick browse on t'interweb there doesn't seem to be any specific agreement. Of course you could mark your jar at a different level, like 150ml. 250ml is just what worked for me. Alternatively, don't bother marking the jar and just use a specific size cup or mug to scoop up your bees and tip them into the jar.

I don't really try to calculate how many mites per 100 bees or anything, but just use it comparatively to see how different hives compare, or how the same hive compares over time.
An old type Kilner jar? Got dozens of 'em and selling to neighbours on Nextdoor. Going like hot cakes. Want rid before I fall off me perch!!:):)

They've changed the laws on OA where can I get some or just go with Apiguard or similar

Not at all. I will remember. Innovation often stems from heresy. Better a heretical post we can discuss than some of the spam we have been getting recently
So why do we keep seeing members banned for 'heretical' viewpoints which don't fit in with the forum ethos? Not just rhubarb leaves, although that has been contentious in the past.

And then people come back with new names but same dissenting points of view, till they're eventually booted off again for the same old same old. 🙄

So why do we keep seeing members banned for 'heretical' viewpoints which don't fit in with the forum ethos? Not just rhubarb leaves, although that has been contentious in the past.

And then people come back with new names but same dissenting points of view, till they're eventually booted off again for the same old same old. 🙄
Welll ,... I'm sorry - I haven't EVER seen anyone on here banned for having a different point of view ,... brawling about it publicly - yes, - I've even been banned for that offence ... but I'd like you to point to an example of anyone being banned for expressing a point of view or a principle in a reasonable manner on here. I'm probably at the extreme edge of beekeeping and frequently express my views .,.. so, if you have a moderator in this vein ... how could you ban a member ?

I think this forum - unlike the one across the road - has the most liberal attitude towards differing points of view or the way people keep bees - you can expect to be challenged if other members think you are preaching a different point of view or something that is wrong but as for the mods or Angie banning people for the reason you suggest ... sorry you are fundamentally wrong.

Latest posts

Back