Dead lavae and bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmatty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
For the last three morning's I've been seeing this. Any idea what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_102531372.jpg
    IMG_20210731_102531372.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210731_100425381.jpg
    IMG_20210731_100425381.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 103
Couldn't see any varroa at all on previous inspections. Those are pupae. But there was lavae aswell. Haven't had this at all this year untill three days ago. Why all of a sudden.

They might just be chucking drones out but there are deformed wings. Natural drop on the inspection board is so unreliable in the presence of brood as to be virtually useless. You need to do an alcohol wash or sugar roll
What do you use to control varroa and when did you do it last?

They might just be chucking drones out but there are deformed wings. Natural drop on the inspection board is so unreliable in the presence of brood as to be virtually useless. You need to do an alcohol wash or sugar roll
What do you use to control varroa and when did you do it last?
I collected the swarm late July last year. Had some rhubarb leaves in there over winter

That might be your answer then.
I hate to say this but rhubarb leaves are pretty pointless. I should imagine your colony is now dying of varroa
You reckon they've had it?

Apiguard those green strips that come in yellow packs?

I collected the swarm late July last year. Had some rhubarb leaves in there over winter
Who on earth advised you to just do that?
Acute varoosis by the looks of it - I'd get any honey off the hive and start your apiguard treatment ASAP

Who on earth advised you to just do that?
Acute varoosis by the looks of it - I'd get any honey off the hive and start your apiguard treatment.
Id always used strips in the past. Two local keepers. They swear by it so I thought I'd try it

No idea they've been keeping bees for years. I might give one of them a call

@oldmatty . I don't doubt that your time-served beekeepers may be onto something......I'm just following the humour flow.......... no-one here who hasn't tried using rhubarb leaves can specifically say they don't work; even though they probably don't.;)

Latest posts

Back