Dead Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creuser69

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have keeping an eye on my two hives overs the winter.

A few weeks ago when the weather was warm I opened them up to put ambrosia feed onto them.

Both were active. Over the last couple of weeks one of the hives has declined in numbers. Today I removed the roof and crownboard, not many bees.

When iIchecked throught the brood frames, there were very few bees, most of the brood cells were empty.

I found about 500 to 1000 bees on the mesh floor. No sign of damp, staining etc. It all looks pretty clean except very few bees.

Im new to beekeeping, started last year.

Questions:-

What the probable cause?

Can I keep the frames full of honey and pollen as food for another hive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nigel

What the probable cause?

With that little information we can only give possible causes.

Too weak going into winter.

too much interference through the winter.

Ventilation.

Pests.

Disease.

Old queen.

Can I keep the frames full of honey and pollen as food for another hive?

Depends why they expired, really. In most cases I would say yes, but only guessing here.

RAB

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

They were really strong last year with a new queen.

I never opened them up over the winter, just a walk around the area until a warm days a few weeks ago, again only lifted the lid and placed ambrosia over central hole in crown board. Again lots of activity below.

Everything in the hive looks ok, no mould or stains etc, just a lack of bees.

Its seems those that flew out foraging never returned.

When the new brood hatched, not enough bees to look after them.

I wouldn't hesitate in using the frames and kit. If they died out on account of Nosema, it is unconceivable that the colony next door would not be similaraly infected.

Did you treat them for varroa before and/or during the winter?

I treated them late on in the year, they did not take it all.

I bought this colony in August from a Ukrainien guy who didn't beleive in chemical treatments.

The were really strong, even brought in a super of ivy honey late on.

They were quick to fly when the weather warmed up in February.

They then went down hill and when I checked the hive yesterday very few bees. All the brood cells were empty.

Plenty of food in the frames.

Perhaps you lost the queen late last year, and to late to re queen the result been no young bees in the colony replacing the older bees and as the older bees start to get active in the start of the season they very quickly die off and the hive just dwindles away.

Latest posts

Back