Dead Drones!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I say young as they are not fully developed. I can see they are drones by their size and eyes. They have dragged them out for a reason but not sure why yet.

If you get cold nights the brood nest contracts and they abandon the drone brood on the periphery. Next day they throw out the bodies. If you get several cold days/nights with no "income" and stores are light then they will throw out
the adult drones at this time of year.

:yeahthat:

I would check they have enough stores as well. If too cold to look in then bung some fondant or a wetted bag of sugar over the feeder hole inthe crown board.

Meg

Well did a full inspection on all three hives. All look really good apart from queen cells in nuc (one capped). Deciding what to do with that as don't want three hives really.
Anyway, full of BIAS and stores as well as few capped drone cells and a few drones wondering around. Both main hives are on double brood and pretty full so added a super to each.
My hives looked this full of bees in July last year so if all carries on like this it will be a good year.

Latest posts

Back