dead drones/larvae outside hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gill68

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,
I have enjoyed having a nose at all the wonderful info on here.
Having opened up a hive that is building up nicely, I noticed that there were quite a few dead bees outside the front of the hive. On closer inspection, most of them seem to be drones. There were quite a few large larvae aswell in the same place. Most of the developed bees looked very pale and fluffy.
My question is, do the colony oust an amount of drones and kill drone brood if they feel under threat? The weather has changed dramatically so I wondered whether this would account for this?

Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks
Gill

Whenever the colony is threatened with possible stores shortages, the bees that are most at risk are the non-productive ones - and they are not going to be swarming (and needing drones) if the colony is starved.

Regards, RAB

Whenever the colony is threatened with possible stores shortages, the bees that are most at risk are the non-productive ones - and they are not going to be swarming (and needing drones) if the colony is starved.

Regards, RAB

There seemed to be quite a bit of stores in there and they were still bringing in oSR ( I know its no good long term for them, but do they?) They are filling about 7 frames of a super ( although none are sealed yet)
The main thing is that its quite normal though is it? Nothing I need worry about as long as there are plenty of stores?
Thanks for getting back to me
Gill

Latest posts

Back