Dead Chicken

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anybody any idea what would do this?
I’m away and we have house sitter who heard nothing. 2 hens are missing and 2 safe
Free range in the garden E9FE4595-4061-4103-AC9A-C5D2BD184EC6.jpeg

Very little info to go on Dani but a Fox [if it gets in a coup] will usually kill everything. If they're free range Charlie might have missed them. Hence the body count. Charlie will be back mind....

I'd not rule out a bold cat either. We have a few that always try it on with our girls.

A lot of young foxes starting to learn their trade at this time of year and Chickens plural carried off indicates Charlie.. I lost 11 this summer in one night.
However the striping of feathers and eating the head is indicative of a bird of pray…. Young fox is my guess though

A lot of young foxes starting to learn their trade at this time of year and Chickens plural carried off indicates Charlie.. I lost 11 this summer in one night.
However the striping of feathers and eating the head is indicative of a bird of pray…. Young fox is my guess though

Yes,a few months ago we had an old buzzard on the attack; we lost a hen.

Do you have pine martins in the area? I used to loose one or two chickens every year to them, though in my limited experience they don't usually leave the body unless something disturbs them like a dog barking or a light.

No pine martens that I know
Sad really. One of the hens was 13 years old and a real favourite. They have been safe for 9 years here despite me forgetting to lock them up on a few occasions
I guess we will never know

13 years old is incredible! So sorry that you lost her. Our eldest is 5 and a half and we thought she was doing well. Foxes are our biggest worry. Can’t let them out the run without us being in the garden with them.

I would say with the chewing on the neck but leaving the vertebrae intact it a small mustelid. Stoat? Weasel? Maybe mink or polcat. Saw that done to a fresh shot pheasant while picking up on a shoot. Bird was shot dropped into long grass at the edge of wood and when it was picked up 20 mins later a stoat had stripped its neck and head.

I would say with the chewing on the neck but leaving the vertebrae intact it a small mustelid. Stoat? Weasel? Maybe mink or polcat. Saw that done to a fresh shot pheasant while picking up on a shoot. Bird was shot dropped into long grass at the edge of wood and when it was picked up 20 mins later a stoat had stripped its neck and head.
But with two hens missing ? More the MO of a fox I would suggest ...

Latest posts

Back